Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMART Failure WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0-S1

• Please log in to reply

Vodoowang

Vodoowang

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My 2 year old computer, a Gateway M-Series notebook gets the SMART failure notice that a failure is imminent. It tells me to press f1 and I do it brings me to some startup repair that will run for a couple days. So I don't really care about my information on my hard drive so I decided to pop in the Gateway Windows OS disc trying to re install windows and thinking this would solve my problems, well the [bleep] thing gets hung up at about 45% each and every time. I'm now working of Puppy OS. What should my next step be to getting my computer back to what it was when I walked out of the store with it?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Short answer? Replace the hard drive.

While a SMART failure doesn't always mean a hard drive failure is imminent, combined with the symptoms you describe you're likely running on borrowed time.

Install new hard drive, reinstall Windows using your Gateway disc.

Installing a new hard drive on a notebook is generally very easy. However, if you have any questions, let us know.

P.S. Most OEM hard drives are only warranted for a year, but you might want to check it. Once you have it removed, enter the serial number at the mfgs website to learn the warranty info.

Edited by admin, 10 August 2010 - 11:32 AM.