Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restart problems

• Please log in to reply

crasher59

crasher59

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello all im new here and would realy appreciate any help as im stuck lol

recently purchased a motherboard and currently built a pc heres the details

hardware
.psu-------------350w psu
.motherboard-----intel-dg33bu
.memory---------2gb kingston memory
.hdd-------------120gb maxtor ide hdd
.dvd-------------panasonic dvd/cd drive ide
.graphics--------onboard graphics
monitor----------umc 15 inch lcd monitor

operating system
windows xp pro

heres what the problem is
right then here goes. firstly i built the system up as u do
got all the wires and jumpers in place. put the xp disc in and all
was fine. once installed when the first reboot took place it shutdown and then came back on by the sound but the monitor said no signal. im not sure whether the hdd was running so after a while leaving it just incase it hanged before the monitor came on i eventualy turned off by holding power button until off. then i switched it back on and all was fine botted up and carryed on the last steps of installing xp. once it was all done i installed the all the latest drivers from intel. the rebooted and it did the same thing again. so every time i reboot/restart the power stays on but monitor goes off its like it cuts the signal going to monitor. and also sounds like the hdd isnt loading windows but it does spin???????? ive installed xp twice on this hdd and once on another hdd and im having the same problem. ive tryed without cd drive too so just the hdd this is realy annoying and sending me crazy becouse once up and running its fine any help would realy be apreciated excuse my rubbish typing and grammar lol

PC SPEC (specInfo)
CPU: Intel® Pentium®CPU E5200@ 2.50GHz
MB: Intel (DG33BU)
RAM: 2020mb
HDD: 114gb (Maxtor 4R120L0)
GPU: Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
Scr:

Plug and Play Monitor

Advertisements

crasher59

crasher59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
also just to let you know the monitor is working as tested on laptop and also tryed all refresh rates available

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi crasher59 :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
What is happening with the computer at the moment, is it working as in do you have a display?
From what I am understanding from your OP it may be better to start afresh, format the HDD and
start again, to do this we need to get into the BIOS and change the boot order to CD 1st and
HDD 2nd, are you able to do this?
Is the psu a known good one and were all connections and the memory stick/s in place securely?

crasher59

crasher59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yep got a display and everything is working tip top ive installed xp on fresh formatted hdd twice already and tryed another psu a 400w one wich is more powerful too and it did the same thing could this be a motherboard prob or something else or could it be that i only have 1 ide slot on the motherboard and running the dvd and hdd through the one ide is it worth buying sata dvd drive and hdd or would it not be that thx for the reply much appreciated

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As you are up & running at the moment it would appear your OS installed correctly.
You have changed the psu.
It could be a MB problem but it is too early to say yet!
As long as the HDD is connected as master and the CD drive as slave sharing a single
IDE slot would not ordinarily cause a problem.
Which leaves the Ram!
How many sticks have you got, 1 x 2gb stick or 2 x 1gb stick?
If it hangs again try swapping round the Ram in the slots 1 at a time in each slot
until each stick has been tested in each slot, if you get any problems it may point
to either the bad stick of Ram or a certain slot.
I would hold off purchasing anything at this present time but please keep us posted
on your progress.

crasher59

crasher59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi there thx for reply i have 2x 1gb ram ive tryed all ways possible of inserting ram eg... one in slot1 none in 2 and so on didnt work problem still persists

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Well that only leaves the MB or CPU, I would take the MB out and do a barebone
set-up on a piece of cardboard, just attach to the MB the psu, gfx, one
stick of Ram, HDD and keyboard and see how that goes, if all is well then
power down and add the 2nd stick of Ram and boot up again and see how that goes,
again if all goes well power down add the CD drive and boot up and see how that
goes.
While the board is out have a good inspection of it, slots, plugs and the CPU
look for any hairline cracks that may expand when the board gets warm etc.
Have you got any thermal insulating material such as Arctic Silver should you
need to reseat the CPU.
BTW it is not unknown for 2 psu`s to be bad so please don`t discount that as
not being the problem just yet.
Good luck and let us know how it goes