Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD Stop: 0x0000007E during Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

KenPC

KenPC

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
hi ... I have intermittantly been getting the BSoD Stop: 0x0000007E during Shutdown. The rest of the codes displayed are: (0xC0000005, 0x8062E37E, 0xB39D3BC8, 0xB39D38C4).

For the most part the PC (an HP m1160n running Win XP with SP3 installed, 2GB RAM with AMD 64 processor 3400+) seems to run OK (no Startup alerts/messages), albeit with a lot of harddisk activity more or less all the time which I think might make it run somewhat slower than it could be.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to eliminate this "problem". I am mostly concerned that this could evolve into a bigger problem if I do not fix it.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

How to View Event Logs
To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Double click Event Viewer.

The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window.

In each one of the above you can click the left pane to open it up then look for a yellow or red icon in front of a event. Double click on the event to read what it says. Mostly it will be gobbledeegook to you but where the event happened is important. It can tell you where to start looking for your problem.

To copy the details of the event, click the Copy button, then open a new document in the program in which you want to paste the event (for example, notepad), and then click Paste on the Edit menu.

To view the description of the previous or next event, click the UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW.

You can post the problem events here so we can determine where next to go.

SRX660