Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Working too hard, Loud CPU Fan even after replacing thermal paste

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You said a housefan initially. Now, it seems you are saying a tower fan. Are we talking about the same thing?

Advertisements

jenniferloopez

jenniferloopez

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just remove your processor and after that spread heat sink on it.You will get a good result.

Synchrotron

Synchrotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

You said a housefan initially. Now, it seems you are saying a tower fan. Are we talking about the same thing?

Yes, sorry to be clear - it was a housefan (but of a tower build, so couldn't get closer then about 4cm from the heatsink, due to the housefans size).

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Just remove your processor and after that spread heat sink on it.You will get a good result.

When joining a thread late in the game, it is best to review the whole thread first. Replacing the TIM was discussed long ago.

@Synchrotron - ah, I understand. I was not sure you if you were talking computer tower.

Note if your case does not provide the necessary fan support, it may be time to start looking for a new case - one that supports several large (120mm or larger) fans. I like Antec cases but there are several good makers.

Synchrotron

Synchrotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Update.

I've replaced the cooler with the CNPS9500.

I've also ordered an Antec 761345-75081-3 80mm Case Fan to attach onto the rear gride to aid in sucking the hot air out. How would I go about attaching this (I can only see one free plug which seems to be from the harddrive. Should there be a molex/pin adaptor with the fan that will plug into this)?

I'm not planning to attach anything to the large side grill as surely that will impede with air flow, and perhaps even blow in the hot air that's just been sucked out?

Also the holes at the bottom-front of the case are small. I can't really imagine much being intaken through here if I were to attach a fan?

The smaller side vent fan is still operational, and is attached via a 3pin connection to the motherboard.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

How would I go about attaching this

You would connect it to a 4 pin plug like those used for IDE drives. But I can't tell by the fan picture if that fan has that type plug. You may need an adapter.

Synchrotron

Synchrotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Update;

I've attached the Antec DBB fan onto the back of the grill to expell hot air. I've also turned the small side case fan around to draw in a little air (it's not very strong).