Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Build

• Please log in to reply

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
With my 8800gt crapping out on me all the time and my motherboard at it's upgradable limit, it's time to get a new system together. Here are the parts I've got picked out for my new build, it'll be used as my main computer for gaming and more importantly, game art.

I don't plan on going SLI or Crossfire but the motherboard has the capability if I choose to in the future. It also has a good RAM limit with enough slots for additional RAM if I find I need it (8gigs should be good for now though.) I want the modular PSU because I hate having to deal with cables I'm not using and I want the best possible airflow in my case.

I'm not too sure about what aftermarket heatsink I should go with for the CPU. The one I picked out now seems a little on the large size so if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I plan on overclocking the CPU, btw.

Current budget is $2000 at the most.

GPU
PSU
Motherboard
DVD Drive
OS
HDD x2
Aftermarket Cooler
CPU
Case
RAM

Thanks for any comments :)

Advertisements

HungryDuck

HungryDuck

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well the first problem I see is that you're trying to but 4*2GB RAM on a 1366 system... 1366 chips have a triple channel memory controller requiring multiples of 3 ram sticks. So that would be either 3*1GB, 6*1GB or 3*2GB to be close to your specified amount (8GB). Personally I would go for 3*2GB. The rest of the build seems fine although I would go with i7 920 because of the cost difference (I assume you will overclock anyway) and I have no experience with the V8 cooler although it seems a bit pricey... Then again I'm from south africa so everything is expensive where I come from but from a pure technical side I don't see a major problem apart from you ram

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Actually, the 1366 processors have no problem running dual channel kits. It may be quicker with the triple channel but I need extra RAM to ensure I can bake textures without any worries of running out of memory (all too common on my current machine.)

The 930s are quickly replacing the 920s (if they haven't done so already), it's rather difficult to find one and if you do, it's going to be around the same price as the 930, at least in the US.

HungryDuck

HungryDuck

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I stand corrected about the dual channel ram, still, I would try to go for a triple channel kit, maybe 12GB? Although that would prob push the price up a bit... Anyway that's just my opinion lol :)