Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive activity since installing adaware

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Sorry if this is the wrong board - but although it concerns Lavasoft Adaware, my query isn't about spyware removal - more about significantly decreased system performance after installing this program.

I only have 1GB of RAM running Vista Home Premium. Now, when I start up my laptop - it's really hard to do anything, the hard drive is working like crazy - just as though windows was having problems juggling the memory, managing the swap file.

This behaviour happened after installing the latest Adaware - is the new version know for this - what is it doing? I've checked the default settings, and can't see ahything that suggests it's performing a complete scan - but I have no doubt I didn't have such frenetic hard drive activity on start up until I installed the program. Noticed one setting - Threatwork Alliance - which I agreed to sign up to when I installed the program - is it this part of the program that is scanning my whole disk and sending a report to Lavasoft each time I start up?

Would welcome any comments/suggestions from those familair with the program, who have maybe experienced the same thing.

Cheers.

Dave B - linuxwannabee

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you feel Lavasoft is the issue, get rid of it and see if the problems go away.

Unfortunately running Windows Vista in 1Gb of memory is painful. You may want to consider upgrading the memory.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

If you feel Lavasoft is the issue, get rid of it and see if the problems go away.

Unfortunately running Windows Vista in 1Gb of memory is painful. You may want to consider upgrading the memory.

Well, indeed - but seemed odd that a piece of software that always seemed to be recommended (incl on this forum) should now be problematic. I used it in it's previous incarnation without problems. Since posting, I have infact uninstalled it - easiest way to be sure - and it feels like I have a new computer again.

Does anyone know why the latest version (free version) does this, where the old one didn't? Clearly it must be scanning upon boot up, but clicking on Advanced View didn't indicate any checked boxes I could uncheck.

New version 'looks pretty' and uncluttered next to the old, but unuseable for me :)

Yes, 1GB is not enough for Vista - but memory management has only been an issue previously, when I've been working in Windows with several apps open for some time, switching between them all.

So, Adaware free has to get my thumbs down. Any free spyware programs that don't slow your system to a crawl. Wouldn't mind if they did (when scanning) - if I get to control when and how they scan - features availalbe in previous guises.

Thanks for the help.

Dave B - Linuxwannabee