Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely slow internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Blind Rook

Blind Rook

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok my computer's connection to the internet is messed up somethin fierce personaly I consider this a minor problem at best. Just a few months ago my internet connection dropped to a very low speed, just after that I had a run in with malware on my computer I removed said malware and my computer got a little faster but not as fast as before. The month after that I took out the memory cards and replaced them with 2 one gig cards(the original had about 200 mb on it) which made my connection a little faster but not as fast a before. Now just last sunday my connection bottomed out again even slower than before, I can't even load videos at low quality at a reasonable speed. Can anyone help with this problem?

Edit: also the connection regularly drops and i have broadband cable.

Edited by Blind Rook, 11 August 2010 - 08:14 AM.

Advertisements

C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This may be a problem with the malware you mentioned. At any rate could you post your specs and any info on the malware including steps you took to get rid of it? What is your broadband speed?

Blind Rook

Blind Rook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok i just used myspeed from visualware.com my download speed is about 117 kbps and regularly drops below that but not over. my upload speed is 469 kbps it regularly goes over that but not by much and it says my consistency of service is 7% which is also prone to going over that percentage. I've also fogotten how to check my system specs If you could help with that it would be appreciated.

Edit:I also just used their connection analyzer and the upload speed was 0.47mbps and the download speed was 0.41mbps with a capacity of 8.80mbps.

Hope this is usefull

Edit 2: ok my connection just went out again and came back, I also can't seem to get beyond the front page of metrocast.com

Edited by Blind Rook, 11 August 2010 - 10:55 AM.