Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE8 not working

• Please log in to reply

emmieri

emmieri

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I stumbled across this website and hoped you guys could help me. I'm a 20 year old girl who is not very computer savvy at all.

My computer was working fine this morning. I never shut it off but left it for a while. A couple of hours later I try to open the internet (I'm using Internet Explorer 8) and it says "This tab has been recovered" whenever I try to go to a website. If I attempt it again after this error, it closes IE completely.

Strange thing is that the internet works fine when I use the InPrivate Browsing or if I run IE with no add-ons. What is the problem? I tried running a windows update to see if that did anything, but it did not help.

Thank you!!

~~Emmie

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do you know what add ons are running to begin with? did you recently install any toolbars?

emmieri

emmieri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

do you know what add ons are running to begin with? did you recently install any toolbars?

I never installed any toolbars. It was working just fine earlier but it went to sleep for a few hours because I left it, but when I came back the internet exporer wasn't working. How do I find out what add ons I am running?

I ran a scan with Malwarebytes but it found nothing, so I'm still confused as to what happened. thank you again for your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
start up ie8 without add ons (i assume you know how to do that since you said that's the only way it will start up), then click on tools, then internet options. go to the programs tab and click "manage add-ons". this will show you what add-ons are installed.

if possible can you post a screenshot of all of them?

How to post a screen shot:
  • With the window up you want to post a screen shot of
  • Press Print Screen
    (Usually top and to the right after the "F" keys)
  • Click Start
  • Click All Programs
  • Click Accessories
  • Click on "Paint"
  • Once opened, Press CTRL key and keep holding, then Press the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG only and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it in your next reply

emmieri

emmieri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

start up ie8 without add ons (i assume you know how to do that since you said that's the only way it will start up), then click on tools, then internet options. go to the programs tab and click "manage add-ons". this will show you what add-ons are installed.

if possible can you post a screenshot of all of them?

How to post a screen shot:

• With the window up you want to post a screen shot of
  • Press Print Screen
    (Usually top and to the right after the "F" keys)
  • Click Start
  • Click All Programs
  • Click Accessories
  • Click on "Paint"
  • Once opened, Press CTRL key and keep holding, then Press the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG only and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it in your next reply

Is this what you need?

Attached Thumbnails

• addons.JPG
  • add ons 2.JPG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yep....

i don't see anything jumping out at me that should be causing issues.

try rebooting the computer (if you haven't already)

also try disabeling the add-ons one at a time.
basically click on one of the add-ons that's enabled and disable it, then close IE and try to open it again. if IE starts working normally, then the last add-on that you disabled is the culprit

emmieri

emmieri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did as you said and went through and tried disabling all of them to see which one caused the problem, but none of them made IE8 come up when I disabled them. :/

emmieri

emmieri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I did as you said and went through and tried disabling all of them to see which one caused the problem, but none of them made IE8 come up when I disabled them. :/

oh! I went through and attempted disabling the add ons again and AVG Safe Search seemed to be the one messing IE8 up. So far it looks like it is working normally again. Thank you!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you may want to try to update AVG, or look through the AVG settings and see if there's one that disables the safe search for now..

also, just to make sure stuff doesn't act weird now, you can probably enable some of the add-ons again (match up the ones in the screen shots that were enabled before)

emmieri

emmieri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

you may want to try to update AVG, or look through the AVG settings and see if there's one that disables the safe search for now..

also, just to make sure stuff doesn't act weird now, you can probably enable some of the add-ons again (match up the ones in the screen shots that were enabled before)

All is well now. I set all add-ons back to normal and fixed the AVG problem. It is working normally again. Thank you very much for your help!