Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Connect to Home Network

• Please log in to reply

kdzAmerigirl

kdzAmerigirl

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can't connect my one laptop to my home internet network. For some reason, the computer can't even find it! I've tried messing with the wi-fi button, but I can't tell if it's on or not because nothing comes up when I click it. :-/ I'd be grateful for any help anyone can offer.

Advertisements

Chris_027

Chris_027

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi kdzAmerigirl, if your computer can't find your wireless router than most likely the Wi-Fi antenna is disabled. There is usually a switch on the side of the computer, or a key on the keyboard that enables it. If you reply with the model of your laptop i'll gladly let you know how to enable it. There could be other reasons but the Wi-Fi antenna is most likely, if it turns out to not be the problem let me know and i'll help you troubleshoot the problem further. :)

Edited by shehing, 12 August 2010 - 11:19 AM.

kdzAmerigirl

kdzAmerigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've actually tried that. The laptop is old and has the key version. Now what should I do? Thanks very much! :)

Hi kdzAmerigirl, if your computer can't find your wireless router than most likely the Wi-Fi antenna is disabled. There is usually a switch on the side of the computer, or a key on the keyboard that enables it. If you reply with the model of your laptop i'll gladly let you know how to enable it. There could be other reasons but the Wi-Fi antenna is most likely, if it turns out to not be the problem let me know and i'll help you troubleshoot the problem further. :)

Chris_027

Chris_027

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Your welcome, i'm glad to help. :) The next thing you should do is to make sure that there is no problems with the wireless network card driver and that there is one installed. To do this click start->right-click my computer->click manage->select device manager. Once you get into device manager expand network adapters and make sure there is a wireless adapter present and that there isn't a red x or a yellow exclamation point. If the wireless driver is present and it doesn't have a red x or a yellow exclamation point, double click on the device to bring up its properties. In device status it will say the "device is working properly" if all is well. Let me know what the status of the driver is in your reply and we should be able to get down to the bottom of this. :)

kdzAmerigirl

kdzAmerigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry for the slow response! I did what you suggested, and it says it's working properly. Now what? :)

kdzAmerigirl

kdzAmerigirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey! It's working again!!! I don't know what was wrong, but the it was finally able to detect my internet network! Thanks for the help. :) :) :-D