Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is 390w PSU enough for my system?

• Please log in to reply

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Im using CM 390w psu,Intel C2D e6750,2 gig ddr2 667,1 320g 7200rpm hdd, asus p5k-se mobo, 1 case fan, planning to buy either Ati 5770 or NV gtx 460, 1 asus dvd burner/drive.So is it enough?

Edited by LordOblivion, 12 August 2010 - 02:55 AM.

Advertisements

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
pls anyone?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
A 390 watt PSU with new Video cards like the ATI 5170 or NVIDIA gtx 460 is probably stretching it to its limit, if i was you i would look at a PSU with minimum of 550 watt with 80+ certification even a 650 watt or more if you intend to upgrade in the future (more case fans, more hard drives, another dvd, more ram ect.)

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
your english is good.another question will my cpu bottleneck these cards?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you check the webpage for both cards requirements they suggest a minimum of 450 watt psu, it might work with your 390 watt but it might also cause problems when your system requires more power or at start up (boot check up) when all your hardware gets the full power they require.

HungryDuck

HungryDuck

• Pip
  • 8 posts
390W sound low but then again there are PSU's and then there are PSU's... What is important is the 12V current that you can draw from the PSU. Not the peak current either but the sustained 12V current. I have an antec 550W PSU that will stand it's ground against 650W or even some 700+W PSU's from other manufacturers, people like to sell things on total wattage but on modern systems the 5V and 3.3V rails are just about useless so it's 12V that counts. Still, running a 460 or 5770 is going to cut it close I think, you don't want your PSU running at 100% capacity for longevity reasons but you don't want it spinning it's wheels either for efficiency reasons. As for your CPU bottlenecking the cards: Is your system overclocked at all?

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
nope, its at stock speeds. wanted to overclock but know absolutely nothing about OC, and was told by some guy from another forum that i need to understand a lot of things, and a step by step would be useless

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
reply pls

HungryDuck

HungryDuck

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't think your CPU should bottleneck those cards. You probably won't get as many hundreds of frames per second at low detail and res but then again you only need 60fps to play comfortably. The CPU should be fine in my opinion. The PSU I'm not too sure about....

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok thanks guys but i need more expert opinion

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
zJo/

390wat PSU will just about do the job but, it will be running at max, generating a lot of heat which you do not want with the new card you are installing, if you add anything else tothe system or upgrade anything you could fry the PSU and take out any number of other componants, something I would not risk.

I reccomend
the PSU.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015 this one not modular so need to tidy asay cables not used.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341022 this one is modular.

Make sure the rebate dates are ok.

When you start the upgrade, let us know how it goes.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
They dont sell those PSU's in my country.I might go for the CM GX 650W its cheap

Edited by LordOblivion, 14 August 2010 - 08:25 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

They dont sell those PSU's in my country.I might go for the CM GX 650W its cheap

Hi.

Are you in

Kuala Lumpur? Thought KL was a state in the USA.

If this is the PSU you have selected,
http://www.coolermas...product_id=6642 it is a good choice and will do the job well.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
yes i live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Ok ill buy the CM psu, but i heard from may ppl saying CM sucks in making PSU's and say that its low quality and unreliable

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

yes i live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. OK ill buy the CM psu, but i heard from may ppl saying CM sucks in making PSU's and say that its low quality and unreliable

Cooler Master is a well known, quality products, otherwise they would not give such a good warranty.