Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I restore pc to factory settings?

• Please log in to reply

nettieball

nettieball

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
I have Windows XP home on compaq presario. I would like to restore this to factory settings. I bought an external hard drive and moved all documents, images etc. Now I am happy to delete all we added but would like to keep the programmes. Don't really know how to and started removing stuff and accidentally removed Microsoft Office....I have various discs for this so I should be able to install when I have 'cleaned up' the pc.
Doing this as it has become VERY slow.
Please help!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What make and model is the computer? We could have looked it up on the compaq website to see if you could still get a recovery CD. You may have had to make your own restore disk from the computer when it was new. If you did not do this you may be able to get a restore CD from H-P for a reasonable price. I got one for a compaq 2011 computer from H-P for $35 a couple of years ago. If your computer is too old to get a restore CD you can use a regular Microsoft XP cd to install XP, then go to the compaq website to download the drivers needed for the motherboard. You will not get any special programs that are included with a normal Recovery Compaq CD by using a microsoft XP CD.

SRX660

nettieball

nettieball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi
I have Windows XP home on compaq presario. I would like to restore this to factory settings. I bought an external hard drive and moved all documents, images etc. Now I am happy to delete all we added but would like to keep the programmes. Don't really know how to and started removing stuff and accidentally removed Microsoft Office....I have various discs for this so I should be able to install when I have 'cleaned up' the pc.
Doing this as it has become VERY slow.
Please help!

Its a compaq presario 515 SR1339UK

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
FYI...if you ever find that a manufacture that says they no longer sell restore cds for your computer...
you can go here and buy a cd/dvd that will restore it back like new for $35.00....I have used them many times with great success using their restore cds

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your system does use a recovery CD creator software to make a recovery CD. If you have not used this you may be able to make a recovery CD with the software. Look in start menu somewhere for it. If you cannot you are limited to happyrocks link or a regular windows CD to reinstall XP.

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph08097

SRX660