Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External stopped being detected but works on other systems

• Please log in to reply

HungryDuck

HungryDuck

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all, PLEEEEEASE help me with this. I've been googling it to death but no one seems to have my particular problem: My 1TB external USB (it has it's own power supply) hard drive used to work perfectly with my desktop, then one day it just refuses to be detected. I plug it in and hear the sound for device disconnect after a few seconds (yes disconnect) and nothing shows up in my computer, disk manager or device manager (running Win 7 64bit) The drive still works fine with my laptop (also win7 64bit) and on my office PC (win XP 32bit) so I know the drive is working properly. I uninstalled the USB driver and reinstalled - no luck, uninstalled all USB devices and reinstalled - no luck. I even got desperate and updated BIOS - no luck Please tell me someone out there knows what is going on...

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The question is whether it is the OS or a hardware issue. Since the actual device works on other systems, that implies that the device is working and the cable, if you are using the same cable.

Have you tried another USB device on this computer?

What I would do is to download the Knoppix LiveCD and boot it to see if it sees the device. Yes, this means you will needs to learn a bit about Linux. If it works, then it is an OS issue.