Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC KEEPS RESETTING

• Please log in to reply

fluvirus

fluvirus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi ,
your help needed please , my daughters pc crashed and when she pressed button to turn it on again, when loading she keeps getting the last config screen/start up in safe mode , i have tried all options , then when it start to load up it keeps resetting to the previous steps as explained , i then clicked the option to goto the f2/f12 screen , a lot of the options have been changed but none works to start up , we have had few error codes by changing options like floppy diskette seek failiure , unamountable boot volume , we have also tried f11 and ctrl to factory reset and still not working , it's dell dimension 5150 pc

can you help?
thanks
dave

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You need to test the hard drive first to see if it has failed. This is done by running a program supplied free by the hard drive manufacturer (from their website). It does not require Windows to be working - all that needs to be working is either a floppy drive or CD drive.

First you'll need to ascertain what brand the hard drive is. Since Windows will not start, you can only ascertain that by physically looking at the label sticker on the hard drive. Then use another PC to visit their website and download the diagnostic tool.