Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook express trouble

• Please log in to reply

firestorm1

firestorm1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Can someone tell me how to get my outlook express 6 to stop receiving double emails. Almost every one I get is received twice back to back.
Thank you.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Go into the settings or properties for your email account and make sure "delete from server" is enabled for incoming messages.

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for replying. There is an unchecked box on the advanced tab of the properties that says "Leave a copy of messages on server". It's under the heading "Delivery". Is this what you're referring to?

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Yes that's the one, but if it's unchecked already that's the default and correct setting anyway. The problem lies elsewhere but I can't think where, and I don't use Outlook Express anyway since I run Windows 7 which has no built-in email client so I installed Office Outlook 2007. Similar but not the same. That's the only setting in Outlook Express which is relevant to your problem You may want to contact your email account provider as the problem could be at their end.

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks...I"ll try contacting them. Much appreciation!

johnmichle515

johnmichle515

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi !

Once there are duplicate emails on the outlook, it will increase our workload to find what we need exactly, wasting lots of valuable time. Normally, this problem is caused by the limited capacity of the Email server bandwidth and compression. If the server is too busy, or the email is too large, it will stop halfway. To essentially solve the problem, first please ensure a sufficient bandwidth and then update the server to a much higher level if possible. But we can still try the steps below to remove duplicate outlook emails:
go to specific account -> click on "Other settings" -> Advanced -> Delivery ->cancel the option to keep copy of file on the server.

Thanks

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi !

Once there are duplicate emails on the outlook, it will increase our workload to find what we need exactly, wasting lots of valuable time. Normally, this problem is caused by the limited capacity of the Email server bandwidth and compression. If the server is too busy, or the email is too large, it will stop halfway. To essentially solve the problem, first please ensure a sufficient bandwidth and then update the server to a much higher level if possible. But we can still try the steps below to remove duplicate outlook emails:
go to specific account -> click on "Other settings" -> Advanced -> Delivery ->cancel the option to keep copy of file on the server.

Thanks

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for replying. I tried what you suggest without success. I am waiting to hear fom my server about the problem now. There were no duplicate emails today at all. Maybe it was a server problem that has now been corrected. I'll wait and see. Thanks.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Most likely an issue with the server.
Leaving a copy on the server only serves 1 purpose. That purpose is so that you can get your email while on the road and away from your computer. You would use the web mail login to then get your email by logging in at another computer.

Checking the "leave on server" should not cause 2 emails to be sent.

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for explaining that to me. The problem is sporatic so that's another clue that it is a server problem.