Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SM Bus Controller + PCI Bridge Device 'gone bad'

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Being unable to alter my resolution from 640x480 via nVidia GeForce 7025 nForce 630a nor via Windows after much fiddling around I decided to uninstall the nVidia installation by Add/Remove and Revo uninstall to see if that would help by just using Windows (Just a guess).
All had apparently gone but no resolution fix. Restarting I got my desktop nVidia chipset update icon back and installed that OK (this fixes the resolution until I restart then it's back to 640x480). Then I found I could not connect to the internet and found in the Device Driver list that the SM Bus Controller and the Other PCI Bridge Device had the yellow question marks attached.

Windows kept on saying that it had found a new hardware wizard and asked for a CD containing the the needful (I only have the XP Pro installation CD which doesn't help) or to look on the internet for it but as now I cannot connect to the internet I am stymied.

Does the lack of these two components mean that internet connection is impossible?
Can I download a fix on a memory stick on another computer to transfer?

Any enlightenment on this dilemma gratefully received.
(I've looked at the relevant forum posts on Bus Controller problems but can find no equivalent problem)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You need to reload your Motherboard chipset drivers(but i do not understand why this happened)since it seems they got deleted.

The Northbridge chipset is the high-speed part of a common chipset architecture in a computer. The Northbridge is the controller that interconnects the CPU to memory via the frontside bus (FSB). It also connects peripherals via high-speed channels such as AGP and PCI Express. The Northbridge may include a display controller, obviating the need for a separate display adapter.

The Southbridge controller handles the remaining I/O, including the PCI bus, parallel and Serial ATA drives (IDE), USB, FireWire, serial and parallel ports and audio ports. Earlier chipsets supported the ISA bus in the Southbridge.
_________
So, even if you deleted the northbridge drivers it should not have affected the southbridge controlled USB drivers. When you download drivers from the computer makers website all chipset drivers are included in the chipset drivers package.

You may also have a hardware problem causing your troubles. If drivers do not fix the problem it may be time to install a graphics card, or even entertain the idea of a newer computer.

SRX660

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

You need to reload your Motherboard chipset drivers(but i do not understand why this happened)since it seems they got deleted.

The Northbridge chipset is the high-speed part of a common chipset architecture in a computer. The Northbridge is the controller that interconnects the CPU to memory via the frontside bus (FSB). It also connects peripherals via high-speed channels such as AGP and PCI Express. The Northbridge may include a display controller, obviating the need for a separate display adapter.

The Southbridge controller handles the remaining I/O, including the PCI bus, parallel and Serial ATA drives (IDE), USB, FireWire, serial and parallel ports and audio ports. Earlier chipsets supported the ISA bus in the Southbridge.
_________
So, even if you deleted the northbridge drivers it should not have affected the southbridge controlled USB drivers. When you download drivers from the computer makers website all chipset drivers are included in the chipset drivers package.

You may also have a hardware problem causing your troubles. If drivers do not fix the problem it may be time to install a graphics card, or even entertain the idea of a newer computer.

SRX660

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thank you for your input on this problem. I'm still working on it and getting some other ideas.

If I conquer this problem I will post my solution. I don't want to get a new computer yet as this is a new one (6 months old) - custom built locally - no help from them as yet.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since it is home built you must know the boards manufacturer and model.
With that you can go to the manufacturers site to get the drivers.
If you give us the make and model we can assist with that.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks 123 Runner for your help offer - I do need some!

Yes I have all that info. and today I reinstalled all the drivers (from my drivers CD) which fixed all those yellow ?s in Device Manager which got me back online. Didn't fix the resolution though which still cannot be changed.

Updating again the chipset which previously gave me a reasonable resolution until restarting, this time failed to do so, nothing changed.

So going back to the Nvidia website I have just downloaded an even earlier version (195.62 from 196.21) which has given me back that same reasonable , but a little small resolution which I daren't try to adjust now as that will surely put me back to 640x480. That will also happen when I restart for sure - I'll see tomorrow.

I happened to meet an experienced ( not very,very but more than me)computer technician today who offered to help me but although he tried for 2 hours (he reinstalled those drivers) the resolution glitch defeated him.

If this post gives you any clues as to my state of affairs I'd be grateful to hear them.

Edited by Plutox, 16 August 2010 - 05:22 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
By the way, reinstalling my XP Pro OS isn't going to help with this resolution problem is it?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I put my computer in hibernation last night and restarting from this I've still got the usable resolution - I'll have to see what happens after really closing down and restarting.
Of course this doesn't explain the real problem.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Reinstalling the OS will not help. It looks like you are using onboard graphics. If reinstalling drivers does not help i would tend to think that the graphics card itself has been damaged so it does not work properly. Unfortunately fixing a hardware problem with onboard hardware means a motherboard replacement. If the computer is not very old perhaps there is a 1 or 2 year motherboard guarantee on it so you can RMA the motherboard back to the manufacturer for a replacement. I just had to do this same thing with a gigabyte MB and had no problems except the cost of sending the MB back to them.

SRX660

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for that advice.

Switching on just now I am back to the bad resolution and after trying everything I can perhaps your diagnosis is correct of a damaged motherboard.

I'll phone my supplier and see what he says.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you can't get a warranty replacement you always install a add on graphics card.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Get a video card...

If the board is less then a year old, RMA it.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Oops!

Edited by Plutox, 20 August 2010 - 02:45 AM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Accidental 'Oops'

Last night I tried a Hot Test to check the motherboard but this de-stabled the system so much that it was impossible to use forcing me try the last resort, namely reinstalling the XP OS and lo and behold the resolution problem is fixed!

I didn't think that this had much if anything to do with the display but seemingly so.

It has resulted in another minor detail which may deserve another thread namely that when scrolling the page ripples or waves as it moves which is annoying.

Anyway now to download many of my necessary programs while I listen to the radio.

Again, thanks to all who considered my dilemma.

Edited by Plutox, 20 August 2010 - 02:46 AM.