Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page can't be found, but still connected to internet

• Please log in to reply

dollyd4

dollyd4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi all,

I seem to be having problems with my internet. I am using vista 32bit and google chrome browser, although I am experiencing the same problems on firefox.

The problem I am having which has happened for about the last week, is that when I am on the internet, (mostly facebook), when I navigate to a new page I am told the page can not be found, plus a new window opens directing me to either "google search" or "some other page that tells me it is loading and to click here if not redirected". This is an intermittent problem, I can browse for a while then all of a sudden I get the message. Now I said I mainly get this error when on facebook, but I have this problem with other websites too. Once I get this problem I have to close down my browser for at least 10 minutes before trying again and even then it doesn't always work.

I know I have not lost my internet connection as I use incredimail for my emails and that still scans for new mail. I have done both a virus and spyware scan, some issues were found and fixed. I even restored to an earlier date which I thought had fixed the problem, well it did for several hours.

The only thing I have downloaded recently is microsoft window's essential, which I downloaded from microsoft website. Since setting comp to an earlier date, this now seems to have disappeared.

I really don't want to have to restore my comp to manufacturers settings. Not sure if that will actually fix the problem.

Do I have a virus? I have two other comps connected to my wireless router, they seem to be having the same problems as me. I am wired connection (host).

Do I need a new router?

Any help gratefully received

Please let me know if I haven't given enough info, but I warn that I am complete novice with comp problems. :)

Caroline

P.S. I forgot to mention, when I do get onto a web page, part of the page seems to be missing with a message saying "this web page could not be found" in a white box. It is like the page didn't load properly.

I have also updated my adobe flash player too.

Edited by dollyd4, 12 August 2010 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi again all,

My problem is getting worse. It is effecting most of the sites that I try to visit. Also my husband is having the same problem and his is getting more frequent too.

I don't think re setting my comp to manufacturers settings will help, (but I don't know). I am actually beginning to think it may be something to do with with my network,
as my husband is connected to my/our network?????

Any help really appreciated as this is starting to drive me insane.

Caroline

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).