Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring my XP

• Please log in to reply

nm7314

nm7314

• Pip
  • 3 posts
How can I restore my Windows XP to its original setting? It's too, too slow and I would like to erase everything!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, it depends on the computer you have. Most of the time i just wipe the drive and reinstall Windows XP on the computer to get it back to being fast. Reload the correct drivers for the computer and reinstall any software that on CD's or DVD's. Sometimes i backup everything i possibly can from the original computer to DVD's for customers but that can get expensive if i have to backup 250 to 500 gig's( i'm at $30/hour). Regular DVD's hold about 4.3 gig's on them.

SRX660

nm7314

nm7314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002.

Manufactured: Hewlett-Packard
Pavilion
Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.93GHz
2.93GHz, 504 MB of RAM

Ok... I hope this is the information you need so you can help me! I basically copied everything I saw. Also, I have backed up all the information I need and it's pretty much ready to be restored if it's possible

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The H-P should have had a restore utility you would use to make your own recovery CD with. If you did not do this when the computer was bought new the only thing you can do now is to check at the H-P website to see if you can get a recovery CD for your computer or Just wipe the drive and install XP from a regular Microsoft XP CD and then go to the H-P website and download the drivers you need for your model of computer. I doubt that H-P will have a recovery CD for your computer because it is too old now. You can use a program like magical jelly bean keyfinder to get your activation code numbers from the computer. A Caution here is if the activation code has the word OEM in it it is not the right one. you need 5 sets of 5 letters and numbers to have the correct key.

If you had given the model number i could have found if there still is a recovery CD available.

SRX660