Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Wireless adapter and new router ...

• Please log in to reply

haysus91

haysus91

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys, quick noob question here..

I'm trying to hook up a new wireless network in my house and bought a new N 300mbps router and an upgraded wireless adapter.

When setting up the router, does it need to be hard connected to a host PC or can it just be connected to the modem only for the network to operate?
I want the modem and router to be off in another room while i connect to it via my new wireless network adapter on my PC. Does the network (router/modem) need to be connected to a host PC to work properly? If this is the case, then i just bought a new network adapter for no reason....

Thanks for any assistance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

When setting up the router, does it need to be hard connected to a host PC or can it just be connected to the modem only for the network to operate?
I want the modem and router to be off in another room while i connect to it via my new wireless network adapter on my PC. Does the network (router/modem) need to be connected to a host PC to work properly? If this is the case, then i just bought a new network adapter for no reason....

for setup purposes you need to be hardwired into the router. after everything is all set up you can disconnect any unwanted hardwire connections (except for the one that goes to the modem obviously) and just connect to it wirelessly. any time you want to make changes to the router's configuration you may need to reconnect via ethernet to make said changes

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hey guys, quick noob question here..

I'm trying to hook up a new wireless network in my house and bought a new N 300mbps router and an upgraded wireless adapter.

http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__1799686