Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

Crapgame

Crapgame

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Greetings all:

Here is my situation; a good friend (who failed to take my advice and back up outlook) has a big problem. She had an HP Notebook (running Vista) that was getting the blue screen of death on occasion and ignored it for weeks. Well, needless to say the Notebook died, (these HPs had / have a history of overheating due to the small size of the cooling fan and their close proximity to the desktop), after troubleshooting, the motherboard is toast but the hard drive is ok.

Here is the hook, I have removed the hard drive and have found that all of the necessary data and files are available. The problem is she was running Office 2003 that came on the system. It is pointless to say there are no disks to load Office 2003 into the new laptop. I am aware that the programs cannot be transferred \ recovered to the new unit for several reasons (operating system differences and hardware differences). My questions are: 1. Will the PST and Archive files from Outlook 2003 work with Outlook 2010, if so, what is involved? 2. If I can locate Office 2003 disks how will I know how far to precede with updates to 2003 so that I will make sure that the PST & Archive files will work?

Thanks in advance, any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
outlook versions don't actually care about PST files (assuming we're talking about using a newer version to open an older pst), the main difference between "old style" PSTs (pre-office 2003) and new style (2003 and up) is the file size limit. old style PST files couldn't be over 2 GB in size, new ones are close to unlimited.

2010 should be able to open all of the PSTs available

Crapgame

Crapgame

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks, that is a help. Can you provide a little guidance, how do i go about setting up a user on 2010 and then directing that user to the older files?

Crapgame

Crapgame

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Desenette: Thanks for your assistance, I have completed the transfer, have a great weekend and thanks again.......