Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LACIE harddrive just keeps blinking, won't connect

• Please log in to reply

Bibax

Bibax

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, so today, I needed my 500gb LACIE harddrive again to get something off of it. I haven't used the drive in awhile, and it's been in my closet, with a book ontop of it. The book isn't heavy. So I connected everything back to it again, but when I turned it on, the LED just blinked yellow and orange and makes this clicking noise. It won't connect to the computer and it just keeps blinking. Can anyone help me with this? Is it supposed to do this when it hasn't been in use for awhile? I'm really troubled and alot of important stuff was on that drive.

Edited by Bibax, 13 August 2010 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do you turn on the lacie HD after the computer has already booted up? Try having it on before the computer boots up. Tried a different USB port? Sometimes when a connector gets a bit worn or corroded it takes a few tries to get it to connect. I would ask about using a external power source but i do not know if that can be done with lacie drives. It also may be the drive had died from just sitting. I had one drive that i thought had died but i kept trying about 20 times and all of a sudden it started working. I immediately burned all the data from the drive i had not backed up ti DVD's put on new DVD's so i would not lose the data.

For years now i do a double backup of data i don't want to lose. one backup goes to me backup HD and a second set of data goes onto DVD's i keep in the closet. I have not lost any data that way in many years.

I still install my Syntrillium Cool Edit 2000 music software on my new computers even tho i bought it when i was still running win 98. It may not work with windows 7 as i haven't tried installing it. I will find out on my next computer i'm building right now. By keeping the install program(downloaded)on a DVD i can reinstall it anytime i want even tho syntrillium sold out to Adobe years ago( it's called Adobe Audition now). Funny how as soon as adobe bought them out the price went from $90 to $300.

Sorry, i was rambling on here.

SRX660

Bibax

Bibax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, I turn it on after the computer is booted up. I tried a different usb port and even the D-LINK usb hub that i have. Still no luck. But something weird happened yesterday; i left it on, in an individual switch, and it just blinked. after awhile, like an hour or something, it stopped blinking. so i disconnected it and plugged it back into my computer. it worked perfectly fine. Only thing that happened was, as soon as I turned the drive off, it started blinking and clicking again. It's really annoying me. -_- I left it on last night, as well, and this morning found that it was still blinking and clicking.

No worries for the rambling. :]