Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

xxjamezxx

xxjamezxx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there any way to cleanup and fix registry errors etc. on a Windows XP for free. Either manual or by scan?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Ccleaner is widely regarded as the best cleanup tool. It also has an integrated Registry Cleaner but this forum does not recommend using them as they might (and have been known to) remove entries which should not have been removed. Having said that, I use Ccleaner's Registry Cleaner on Vista & Windows 7 and it's never given me any problems. Just be aware that cleaning the Registry is not essential unless one of our malware experts instructs you to do so. Having redundant entries in there will do no harm & will not cause performance issues, so it's best left alone.
Ccleaner is here: http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

xxjamezxx

xxjamezxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ccleaner is widely regarded as the best cleanup tool. It also has an integrated Registry Cleaner but this forum does not recommend using them as they might (and have been known to) remove entries which should not have been removed. Having said that, I use Ccleaner's Registry Cleaner on Vista & Windows 7 and it's never given me any problems. Just be aware that cleaning the Registry is not essential unless one of our malware experts instructs you to do so. Having redundant entries in there will do no harm & will not cause performance issues, so it's best left alone.
Ccleaner is here: http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

Thankyou very much for the help it worked great =) Any additional cleaning programs I can use I am also interested in trying.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Do not be confused by un-used and uneeded registry entries and registry errors.
The registry contains many 1000`s of entries.
If you install a program or application and then uninstall it by deleting the separate folders and files of the program, rather than using the programs uninstall or Windows Add/Remove programs, then the registry entries will be left.
Using any so called registry cleaner, registry booster etc is as "phillipcocoran" has said, both unnecessary, frequently dangerous to the health of the computer and sometimes a straightforward disaster. The benefits, if that is the correct word, are to improve boot/load speed by a fraction of a second, and even that is questionable. In fact cleaning the registry of perceived un-needed entries actually fragments it and makes matters worse.
Windows, knows best in these matters, and ANY registry cleaning programme, has to determine what is and what is not necessary. Frequently an entry is deleted which then results in some application not working correctly.
Errors in the registry, caused by infections, are a different matter and in this regard the help of an expert must be sought, on this forum, or elsewhere who can advise on what registry key is corrupted etc.
If you think that the computer is generally slow, then please be assured that the registry is NOT the place to solve this.