Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Audio Driver Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi,

I haven't posted here in a while, but you guys've helped me out plenty of times in the past. And I'm having a bit of a problem right now. Today I reformatted a computer that belongs to my Dad's office buddy. We need to go put it back in the office tomorrow, and I can't seem to get the correct audio driver for the computer.

I did a fresh install of Windows XP and tried using the audio driver given on eMachine's website, but it's no use.

eMachine T3624's Support Website

Copied from the above link:

Specifications
CPU : Intel® Celeron® D 330 Processor
Operates at 2.66GHz
256KB L2 cache and 533MHz FSB
Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Chipset : Intel® 845GV chipset
Memory : 256MB DDR 333
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive : 60GB 7200rpm, 2MB cache
Optical Drive : CD-RW Optical - 48x Max Write (48 × 24 x 48)
Media Reader : None
Video : Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
64MB shared video memory
Sound : AC '97 audio
Network : Intel® PRO 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet
Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals : Standard keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Ports/Other : 6 USB 2.0 (2 in front, 4 in back), 1 VGA external connector, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 2 PS/2, 5 audio (2 in front, 3 in back)
Dimensions : 7.25"W x 14.25"H x 16"D

There's a download link for a SoundMax AC '97 driver, but it boots up and shuts down saying that it can't find a file in C:\Drivers\Audio\DownloadedDriver_1-7-2005\Setup.exe

Funnily enough - the file is there.

There's a folder that was created by this software download called "C:\Drivers\Audio\OriginalDriver"

with a readme.txt file inside that says:

"Dear Customer,

There was not a driver originally stored in the C:\Drivers\Audio
folder. Therefore this folder was created to mark the place to where
the original Audio driver would have been copied. If you intend
to leave the updated Audio driver in the folder we have placed it
then please leave this folder here as well. Thank you for your
continued interest in eMachines products.

Sincerely,

The eMachines Customer Care Team"

Can you guys help me make heads or tails of this? I've been trying to install Realtek AC '97 drivers from Cnet all night, and I'm getting nowhere. It's the one thing that's making this computer incomplete!!

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

The Audio drivers are usually installed from the motherboard or main board instalation CD so if you have access to it, insert in CD player and install.

If not available you might try, go to device manager and look for audio drivers, uninstall the driver and restart the computer, windows should install the driver for you.

If that does not work try, Highlight the audio driver and then try to update the driver, allow windows to look on the internet.

Hope one of them works.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Hi.

The Audio drivers are usually installed from the motherboard or main board instalation CD so if you have access to it, insert in CD player and install.

If not available you might try, go to device manager and look for audio drivers, uninstall the driver and restart the computer, windows should install the driver for you.

If that does not work try, Highlight the audio driver and then try to update the driver, allow windows to look on the internet.

Hope one of them works.

Don't have the original CD. It's 2 a.m. here in the US, so I will try this in the morning (in a few hours). I will post back shortly. Thanks!

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Hi.

Hope one of them works.

Don't have the original CD. It's 2 a.m. here in the US, so I will try this in the morning (in a few hours). I will post back shortly. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the driver HERE you tried?
In the boc click
  • Desktp
  • T series
  • T3624
  • Make sure it has a check in the XP box

Verify this is the driver you downloaded and if not then try this one.

Audio Driver......5.12.1.3571.......4.1 MB......2009/11/09

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 August 2010 - 04:58 AM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Is this the driver HERE you tried?
In the boc click

• Desktp
  • T series
  • T3624
  • Make sure it has a check in the XP box

Verify this is the driver you downloaded and if not then try this one.

Audio Driver......5.12.1.3571.......4.1 MB......2009/11/09

Yes, I tried that one. Like I stated in my original post, it boots up and shuts down saying that it cannot find another file it needs to use in order for it to work. I can guarantee you if you were to download it yourself and try to install it you'd see the same message. It would simply not install it and blame its inability on the lack of a file on the computer - which doesn't make any sense. Usually when you're looking for a .exe or self-extracting driver installer, it should just install the driver. But no - this one needs a file that simply isn't there, because the eMachine was installed with a non-eMachine copy of XP - Not the original disk. And since I don't have the original disk (who knows where it is?) and the sound card is integrated into the motherboard, I am having some issues. Their website seems only to give you sound-driver-software that is for updating purposes only. Is there anything else I can do? I no longer have the machine with me, but I can access it when need be. It is back at my father's friend's office.

And iammykl - I tried your suggestions this morning, but to no avail. Any more suggestions?

Again, thanks in advance!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Sorry I've run out of ideas.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So if the file is on the system and you tell it to update the driver through the Device Manger... Then when it searches are you telling it to look at the file you downloaded?
Is there another file it is asking for other then the driver?
According to your answer that is what I'm understanding.

I can guarantee you if you were to download it yourself and try to install it you'd see the same message. It would simply not install it and blame its inability on the lack of a file on the computer - which doesn't make any sense

This would not help any of us since we do not have that system so the driver would not install for us anyway.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

So if the file is on the system and you tell it to update the driver through the Device Manger... Then when it searches are you telling it to look at the file you downloaded?
Is there another file it is asking for other then the driver?
According to your answer that is what I'm understanding.

I can guarantee you if you were to download it yourself and try to install it you'd see the same message. It would simply not install it and blame its inability on the lack of a file on the computer - which doesn't make any sense

This would not help any of us since we do not have that system so the driver would not install for us anyway.

Well I have that system, and it's not installing correctly.

Thanks for your help. I'm just going to buy a new sound card.

And thanks again, iammykl!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about the first part of my post? :)
I'm trying to help but you are not answering my questions in order for me to assist you. :)

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

What about the first part of my post? :)
I'm trying to help but you are not answering my questions in order for me to assist you. :)

And I'd appreciate your help! What I am trying to tell you is that I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3 onto this guy's system. An eMachine T3624.

I downloaded most of the drivers listed for that machine from eMachine's website in order to restore it to normal, since the man and computer in question do not have the original disk. Most of those drivers installed correctly. (From the same link that I posted in my original post, and also the link you re-posted in your first post Mr. Shaffer.)

However, the audio driver is giving me a problem. From doing a little research, I've discovered that the sound card is integrated into the motherboard. I suppose that makes it a little harder to install this driver? I'm not sure. I've never installed a driver for an integrated-into-the-motherboard sound card before, just stand-alone sound cards.

Before I reformatted the machine, I did save some files from his C: Drive Program Files that I recognized may be necessary upon reinstallation.

In his Device Manager, under audio it said that he had a "Realtek High Definition Audio" driver.

I found a Realtek folder on his machine pre-format located @ C:\Program Files\Realtek

I have uploaded the folder to the file-transfer website Send Space in a zip file, if you wish to peruse the folder's contents. That link is here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/amwzos. The file was too large to attach to this post. I've also attached a screenshot of the contents of that folder to this post.

I tried to update Device Manager on the fresh-machine-install with this folder - nothing.
I tried to click around on the .exe files in hopes of a setup and installation - again nothing.
I tried to use the driver package given eMachine's website for this particular machine and Operating System in the exact same fashion - nothing.

I've tried several other Realtek AC '97 / High Definition Audio drivers from CNET - nothing.

When I use the driver given from eMachine's website for audio entitled SoundMax utilizing the Realtek AC '97 Audio Driver, the .exe opens up showing me an installation screen. Then - it shuts down. It looks for a file called "C:\Drivers\Audio\DownloadedDriver_1-7-2005\Setup.exe"

Now - that folder didn't seem to be there before my installation. However, it is there now. It seems that in the short time when I open up their driver package, it places these ghost files there and then claims it cannot update them because it requires them? I'm not exactly sure what's going on. It also creates a separate folder in the C:\Drivers\Audio\OriginalDriver directory with a readme.txt file that says the following:

"Dear Customer,

There was not a driver originally stored in the C:\Drivers\Audio
folder. Therefore this folder was created to mark the place to where
the original Audio driver would have been copied. If you intend
to leave the updated Audio driver in the folder we have placed it
then please leave this folder here as well. Thank you for your
continued interest in eMachines products.

Sincerely,

The eMachines Customer Care Team"

Their given driver package seems to be more of an "update driver" kind of deal instead of "install new driver."

Needless to say, spending $12.99 on this soundcard from Frys is looking a heck of a lot easier than trying to get this sound card to work. I'm a little flustered, and I've tried your suggestions.

Look - if anyone can help me it's you guys. Geekstogo.com (used to be .net) is the best forum for free tech help around. You donate your time, and I've always appreciated it.

If you can help me here, please do. But if you personally think it's easier to install the new sound card, then maybe I should do that? Can I even do that? Can an integrated sound card on a motherboard also have a subsequent and adjacent new sound card installed? Will they conflict? I don't know.

I'm open to your suggestions and help. You seem to know what you're doing. And I love horror movies, too.

Edit: Forgot to attach pic.

Posted Image

Edited by hysteria, 16 August 2010 - 01:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Normally when you install a add on card like a sound card then the integrated sound card will be disabled in the bios automatically.
I understand if you believe that is the easier way to go and have no problem with accepting that decision.
I would suggest just checking the bios to make sure the onboard or integrated peripherals as the sound card are enabled.
I'm sure they are but it would be worth taking a look at it just to make sure.