Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nero 8(Nero Vision 5) - would it run better on desktop or laptop?

• Please log in to reply

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi I have the Nero 8 software for all its applications including Nero Vision 5

I am wondering would it run more smoothly if I install it in my desktop computer instead of my laptop?

Specs:

laptop -

Toshiba Intel Pentium Dual CPU
T2330 @1.60 GHz
1.60 GHz, 0.99 GB Of RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002 Version
Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7
AVG 9.0 Internet Security
Free Space On C Drive: 21.1 Gig

desktop computer -

Asus Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor 3600+

160 gig(approx 150 gig free space on C drive)

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2(which will soon be updated to Service Pack 3)

Internet Explorer 6(which will be soon updated to Internet Explorer 7 after I get Service Pack 3)

No Anti Virus(I will soon install AVG 9.0 Internet Security)

I know there is alot more space on C drive on the desktop computer compared to the laptop so that is likely to mean I should install Nero 8 on the desktop, but if both the desktop computer and laptop had the same amount of space on C drive, which one would be the better one for particularly Nero Vision to function at its best, and also for capturing large amounts of video from Sony Digital8 camcorder via firewire, and for the best results of burning DVDs to DVD-R?

Also when I had Nero 8 on my old computer, using Nero Vision 5, I would often have problems grouping together many video clips into one title with multiple chapters...when trying to transcode going from the end of one video clip into the start of the next video clip the transcoding would freeze and I would get an error message saying Nero Vision has encountered a problem and needs to close...so to get around this I had to export the whole timeline to one avi file at full quality - around 8 to 12 gig for a full 3 hour timeline made up of various video clips, then with the one big exported 720 x 576 avi I then added chapter marks to separate the various video parts, then transcoded it, then burned it...so instead of transcoding and burning the 3 hour title in about 2 hours 30 mins, instead it took 6 hours to export the timeline to avi, then 2 hours 30 mins to transcode and burn...so 8 hours 30 mins time to get the finished dvd as opposed to 2 hours 30 mins...I never updated the Nero 8 software via online updates, should I have done that? Should I get the latest Nero Vision Xtra instead of using Nero 8/Nero Vision 5?

Also I have never tried transferring footage from my Sony Digital 8 camcorder to computer via firewire to burn DVDs using Nero Vision...at full quality 720 x 576 mpeg2 or avi capturing via Nero Vision would it be about 13 gig for a 90 minute capture? What would the approx capture bit rate be from camcorder to computer, and what would the resulting dvd bit rate be approx if using the 'good' burn setting(not 'excellent', and not 'high' quality burn settings) within Nero Vision 5? Would burning Digital8 camcorder footage to a 3 hour 10 minute DVD using Nero Vision be better quality than burning to dvd in a LG dvd recorder/hdd unit?

I look forward to hearing anyone for advice, particularly those who have experience using Nero 8, Nero Vision 5, and the latest Nero burning software, thanks.

Edited by cantbootwindowsxp, 14 August 2010 - 07:20 AM.

Advertisements

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Both systems are Dual-Core so thats not an issue, It can run on your laptop fine & If your desktop has 512MB+ Ram if will run fine. So in the end its your choice.

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for your response.

Good to know it will be fine on either the desktop or laptop.

Much appreciated.