Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

syswow64 virus- windows 7- please help !

• Please log in to reply

Bamfskittles

Bamfskittles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My security protection (avast!) detected that my comp is infected by the syswow64 virus. I have tried moving the file to the 'chest' and deleting it through avast. I have also tried finding the file in my computer itself and delting it there, but every time i try to do any of these things it locks me out, saying i need permission to access this file from 'TrustedInstaller'. Even avast can't access it or delete it.. I looked in the file on my c drive labeled syswow64 and oh my gosh there are sooooo many files that my computer is labeling viruses. Its a really smart virus it outsmarted and shut off my old virus protection (Kaspersky) and i couldnt even find it until i got avast. My laptop is very new and this is the first virus ive gotten (that i know of.) I just want to be able to delete the whole syswow64 file and get it over with.. but i have no idea how to gain access so that i can do that. please please help ! avast says its a worm so its probably stealing all my info.. The faster you can get back to me the better (PLEASE!). thank you !

-Bam

PS- when i try to delete it it says its being used by another program. When i deleted this program, it just jumped to another HP program.

Advertisements

Bamfskittles

Bamfskittles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
follow up ! So, i got help and went here http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ and followed those steps. The antimalware software found a trojan and got rid of it, and when i rebooted and re-scanned my computer, avid said my computer is now clean. But the syswow64 folder is still there and i still couldnt access it, so i got more help and took ownership of the folder. however, i was told that if i delete the folder it will kill windows ? But inside that folder theres sooo much stuff, i wouldnt know what to delete or if the threat is even still there. Does anyone know anything about this folder and what could be dangerous in it ? Thanks