Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

syswow64 virus- windows 7- please help !

• Please log in to reply

Bamfskittles

Bamfskittles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My security protection (avast!) detected that my comp is infected by the syswow64 virus. I have tried moving the file to the 'chest' and deleting it through avast. I have also tried finding the file in my computer itself and delting it there, but every time i try to do any of these things it locks me out, saying i need permission to access this file from 'TrustedInstaller'. Even avast can't access it or delete it.. I looked in the file on my c drive labeled syswow64 and oh my gosh there are sooooo many files that my computer is labeling viruses. Its a really smart virus it outsmarted and shut off my old virus protection (Kaspersky) and i couldnt even find it until i got avast. My laptop is very new and this is the first virus ive gotten (that i know of.) I just want to be able to delete the whole syswow64 file and get it over with.. but i have no idea how to gain access so that i can do that. please please help ! avast says its a worm so its probably stealing all my info.. The faster you can get back to me the better (PLEASE!). thank you !

-Bam

PS- when i try to delete it it says its being used by another program. When i deleted this program, it just jumped to another HP program.

Advertisement

Bamfskittles

Bamfskittles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
follow up ! So, i got help and went here http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ and followed those steps. The antimalware software found a trojan and got rid of it, and when i rebooted and re-scanned my computer, avid said my computer is now clean. But the syswow64 folder is still there and i still couldnt access it, so i got more help and took ownership of the folder. however, i was told that if i delete the folder it will kill windows ? But inside that folder theres sooo much stuff, i wouldnt know what to delete or if the threat is even still there. Does anyone know anything about this folder and what could be dangerous in it ? Thanks