Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly very laggy

• Please log in to reply

kannibleklown

kannibleklown

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have windows xp and latley, all of a sudden my computer has been very very laggy. the cpu useage is almost always at 100% even when i'm not doign anything.

my specs:

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.93GHz
3 gb ddr2 ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

anything else you need to know, please ask

thanks in advance

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You may have picked up some malware since that's often a symptom of malware infection. We aren't allowed to help with possible malware infections in this forum. Such advice is reserved for our malware experts here:
http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

rhabdomantist

rhabdomantist

• Pip
  • 6 posts

You may have picked up some malware since that's often a symptom of malware infection. We aren't allowed to help with possible malware infections in this forum. Such advice is reserved for our malware experts here:
http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

Have you checked your Task Manager to see what processes are eating up memory. There have ben numerous
problems in the past couple of weeks with a Microsoft update "bug", If wuauclt.exe and svchost.exe are
running high, especially after startup you may be experiencing this problem. No fix available yet but some
workarounds. Follow below links if you find the above processes are presently running wild,

http://social.answer...05-33dcf9a9a03b

http://social.answer...24-8ce618f3e939

ohsnap

ohsnap

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
^ So I'm not delusional when I notice that whenever I log in, my computer is laggy and svchost and wuauclt are taking up memory?

Phew!

rhabdomantist

rhabdomantist

• Pip
  • 6 posts

^ So I'm not delusional when I notice that whenever I log in, my computer is laggy and svchost and wuauclt are taking up memory?

Phew!

Don't know how much of the linked threads you managedto go through. The suggested workaround is to turn off Microsoft Updates.
I left mine onthe AM and for the first timein 2 weeks my MSE updated itself quickly and without too much wuauclt action after that.
I simply killwuauclt.exe after start up with Process Explorer.

ohsnap

ohsnap

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is it safe to disable Microsoft Updates?

All I remember is Windows Updates, which, correct me if I'm wrong, automatically download.

rhabdomantist

rhabdomantist

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Is it safe to disable Microsoft Updates?

All I remember is Windows Updates, which, correct me if I'm wrong, automatically download.

That's right, except if you turn off Microsoft Upates you get no automatic updates for MSE, Office,
Silverlight, etc. Windows is Windows

nutzbuthot

nutzbuthot

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Phew!

Same here, my computer seems to way more sluggish than usual.

ohsnap

ohsnap

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
^ I'm thinking Microsoft will fix the problem in the next update.

A simple Google search show that many people are having this problem (most have XP SP3, like me).