Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with custom build

• Please log in to reply

dom-nyc

dom-nyc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Everyone, this is my first post. Last night I was looking for a few websites that stream live sports, I landed at TVU Networks...idk if its a shady website or what...but after 3 or 4 minutes, my Chrome browser crashed, then my computer totally went black and turned off. A few seconds later the power supply tuned on, followed by all my internal components, fans were blowing at full force for about 20 seconds, then they all shut off. A few more seconds pass and that happens all over again, fans buzz, nothing happens on the monitor, then everything turns off again. What do you guys think could have happened? Could it be related to the website?

Here is a little background info:

I built this computer one year ago (first build for me) with all good quality parts...It went really smooth...i'm running:
-windows 7 64-bit
-500W rosewill stallion series power supply
-core 2 duo 2.8 ghz processor (E7400)
-Zalman cooling fan (arctic silver 5)
-4GB Mushkin Ram
-500GB WD Caviar Black hard drive
-Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard
-Nvidia graphics card...8900 GT 512mb

Pretty decent first build...its been great since i built it, no over clocking, just general gaming and use (school work, email, web surfing, media player) general computer use. SO its pretty annoying and weird it all of a sudden just crapped out. Could the PC have over heated...its been pretty hot in my apartment (ac is out)...so its regularly around 80 degrees F in my apt. Help me out guys, I want to trouble shoot tonight but I need some advice. Thanks for all the help.

Also to add, I borrowed a friends 650W corsair PSU and installed it. The same thing happens as described above, cycling turn on and turn off. I also tried the paperclip test with my original PSU and it works fine. So it must be my CPU or MOBO?

-Dom

Edited by dom-nyc, 14 August 2010 - 01:13 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi dom-nyc :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
First off try clearing the CMOS by removing the MB battery, remove and reseat the gfx card, if no luck try another gfx card if you can loan or have one, remove the Ram sticks & try them one at a time in each slot.
Let us know how these tests go and good luck.