Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems installing windows xp home

• Please log in to reply

nosavytechie

nosavytechie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to install the Dell operating systems disk that came with my Dell dimension 3100 pc. My system was mightily infected with all kinds of viruses and just went blue screen on me. I've now tried to install the disk about ten times and each time it bombs out after getting through only a few steps. I am able to enter F12, select CD-Rom, Select Windows XP Setup, and Press Enter. Then several files load up. But after a minute or two it just stops and goes to a blue screen and displays: "Windowd XP Home Edition Setup" at the top left hand corner. and "examining 152,587MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0on atapi..." I've tried hitting Esc at that point, Return, F8, my head, my cat, everything I can think of. But no go. Does anyone have a solution on how to get this thing to work?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Sounds like a it may be a (possibly serious) problem with the hard drive. Which make/model and how old is it, (the hard drive)?

nosavytechie

nosavytechie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sounds like a it may be a (possibly serious) problem with the hard drive. Which make/model and how old is it, (the hard drive)?

nosavytechie

nosavytechie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Note I erred on the system, it's actually a DELL Dimension E310. In the Manual all it says about the hard drive is that it's a one inch high IDE hard drive. It is 2 years old.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive. I would suggest using the SeaTools CD ISO since Seagate diagnostics seems to work with a wide variety of HD manufacturers.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions