Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry problems?

• Please log in to reply

ml_black

ml_black

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer is getting slower and slower, especially at bootup time. We have to wait 10 minutes to a half hour after bootup before we can do anything. IE7 hasn't worked for a long time--just hangs, so we never open it. Firefox was no problem until recently when I had to disable all plugins and extensions--once I do that, and we wait the half hour, the system is lightening fast. If I don't do those things, the whole system is unusable. I also tried selective startup for the services--that helped somewhat, but mostly I think just because the system then has fewer services running and thus more resources available. I'm suspecting the registry is messed up--I used CCleaner a while back and maybe that was what did it. Is this the right forum to look for help with this? Thanks!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hi ml_black :)

You give us no info on the computer you are using, but we will get that in a bit.
Lets start with some basics.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem
================================================================================

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]===============================================================================

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25
===================================================================================

Lets see if we can get some system information.

Download and install PC Wizard 2010

Run the program and it will analyze your computer and then display the results.
In the upper left hand corner click on the floppy icon.
You will get a save as screen.
Change the range bullet "only this selection" to be "selected category".
Make sure that text is selected for format.
Click on ok and you will be given a spot to save it to.

Attach it to your response.

123runner

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you try to boot in safe mode? Was it any faster?

Click Start > Run. In the dialog box type MSCONFIG. Check Selective Mode and click Startup. Uncheck everything, Apply and reboot. Is boot time any faster? If yes, repeat the process and now check one item. Reboot. Repeat the process, checking one item at a time, until you find the one that slows the computer. You can check more then one item at a time but then you may have to search within the group for the bad one.