Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Norton anti virus

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Recently I bought a new Emachines PC (OS Windows 7, 500 GB hard drive, 2 gb of RAM) and I want to remove Norton anti virus trial version from windows 7 before it expires because I sure as heck don't want to buy it. I want to have AVG anti virus (free version) on my new PC like I always had on my other PC. I've been told that just using the add/remove won't completely get rid of Norton. I refuse to mess with the registry because I'm not that computer savvy. I have a week left before Norton begins irritating me with notices to buy their anti virus, so if anyone would be so kind as to help me I would appreciate it very much. I've been told that the "Norton removal tools" are useless. Is that true? Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Download the removal tool from here that will remove the great majority of Norton, enough so that you can install another antivirus safely

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well, I ran the removal tool Essexboy, and it sems to have done the trick. Thank you for taking the time to assist me, I really appreciate it. :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure - it is easier than battling viruses :)

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I'll bet it is easier than battling viruses. :) Have an awesome week and again, Thank you!