Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freezes and Goes Black

• Please log in to reply

DDSDevilDog

DDSDevilDog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello All,

I have been having a problem that has lasted the last week and a half.

I was playing a game and all of a sudden the screen flashed to black and Froze up. I rebooted my PC and as it statred up it made and wining noise but windows came up fine.

As time has gone on it has frozen sometimes going black, sometimes the picture get all screwed up such as Streaks and sometimes it flashes and my monitor self test immediately comes up to let me know the monitor works. when I reboot sometimes it makes a wining noise and sometime s not.

Last night it got really bad it froze up and then even when I rebooted when it was showing that windows XP was loading little dots of color started popping up and it froze before windows could even load.

The strange thing is that I let it sit over night and it worked fine this Morning. It seems the more it is used the more frequent the occurences.

I am not very pc literate so any help you could give me on identifying what this problem is I would appreciate it.

I have gateway. Windows XP, Radeon 9800 pro, Soundblast audigy 2 ZS, Pentium 4 1.9, 512 of Ram.

Thank You all for any help

DD

Edited by DDSDevilDog, 24 May 2005 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

AsusLover

AsusLover

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Try reseating the AGP card into it's slot and make sure the settings match the card in your BIOS. It may be loose, incorrect settings, or a bad card. How old is the Card?

DDSDevilDog

DDSDevilDog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply.

The card iss about 6 months old. Yesterday I took it out and reseated it to make sure it was in properly.

AsusLover

AsusLover

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, now go into your BIOS and make sure that your AGP is your primary Video Boot Device and that the AGP Aperture is set to 128mb.

DDSDevilDog

DDSDevilDog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Bios? I apologize if this is something simple but how do I look at or change my Bios? :tazz:

AsusLover

AsusLover

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
what kind of board do you have> (Brand)