Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

password protecting external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

sulobaid

sulobaid

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello all! I want to password protect my external hard drive or possibly even password protect just certain files. I am not sure exactly how to do this, last time I tried I ended up locking myself out of my own external with no way to open it again and had to reformat it. I have a rather new Toshiba external, when I bought it the packaging said that it could be encrypted but the instructions didnt really say how.
Thanks for any help!

Sulo

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Look into truecypt. Read through the directions a few times so you don't get lost in it. But I recommend creating a partition file and keeping your sensitive documents there. This way you can keep your non-sensitive documents readily available.

TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/

deathtoal2

deathtoal2

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
i would use bitlocker that comes with windows

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I was going to suggest that. But the OP has Windows 7 Professional on his computer. Bitlocker isn't available on the professional version only business and ultimate versions. Also if he hooks the device up to any computer that doesn't have BitLocker installed or enabled be it windows xp, vista home premium and such the drive would be useless.

If he only plans on connecting the drive to his own computer, and he has the funds to upgrade to the ultimate edition or business edition then ya bitlocker would be a way to go. But I know for most people funds are tight, so that is why I recommended TrueCrypt. As it does what he needs it to do.

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
thanks for the help guys. So will I be able to access the locked partition on any other computer or will that computer also need TrueCrypt?