Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent freezing and restarting of computer

• Please log in to reply

herisland

herisland

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, my computer will frequently freeze or enter the blue screen. Sometimes, it will take severe attempts before I can restart it and then it might either freeze again and the cycle repeats again. My friend has advised me to try defragmenting my computer, but it doesn't seem to help.

The recent reboot showed me a pop-up that says "BCCode : de BCP1 : 00000002 BCP2 : E4634798 BCP3 : A4634798BCP4 : 5FEB68C0 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1"

Help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I am running on windows XP by the way.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Lets see if we can find more info first.
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 6 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 01 08 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 15 08 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 August 2010 - 09:18 AM.

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, I cant seem to able able to run the program. It says "VEW has not been coded for your language(Chinese)"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to

Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 August 2010 - 07:18 AM.

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, I see alot of red crosses and yellow warnings especially on the application tab, but none seem to tally with the time of the clashes. So I have no idea which to save. In fact the dates are weird. I get dates of year 2082... The clashes of my computer occurs between 2009 and now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm this sounds really strange...

I get dates of year 2082... The clashes of my computer occurs between 2009 and now

Have you checked your bios to make sure the correct date is set?
This may answer for some of your issue if the date is that far out.

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yup, checked my bios. Date is correct. Actually these clashes have been occurring for over a year now, but I just kinda neglect it. Recently, I realised the clock at the bottom right hand side of the screen will always be wrong and I have to manually adjust the timing. But as of now, both the timing for the clock and the bios clock are accurate. But the event viewer still shows far fetched dates.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Time and date or either having to be reset all the time is a sign that the cmos battery is low or failing.
I would suggest replacing it to be sure that is resolved. The wrong date can cause drivers to act like they are wrong or non existent in your system.
Lets check the disk integrity to make sure you are not having a problem there.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ran the check alr. will update again if there is anymore clashes.
Btw the way, cmos battery failing.. will it lead to frequent hanging as well?
Thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will if the programs are thought to be out of date or non-existent to the system.
After running the chkdsk /r then do the following and follow up with a results on how your system is running then.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

herisland

herisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Did the above as u have instructed, no errors was found. does this means that problem does not lie with the ram??

Blue error screen kept appearing as well tgt with the frequent freezing.

Edited by herisland, 20 August 2010 - 12:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Did the above as u have instructed, no errors was found. does this means that problem does not lie with the ram??

Yep the memory appears to be working correctly.
Have you replaced the cmos battery from earlier?
Lets move on to the next step:

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions