Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Help!]Hardware issue

• Please log in to reply

sparklez

sparklez

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi! I don't know what happened, but, last night my computer was fine when I went to bed, but, when I woke up this morning, I turned it on, and saw nothing...so I turned it off then on again a few more times until I gave up. I took out my graphics card because it was making a weird weezing/hiss noise, and the bottum of my 8600 GT is all brown and smells like syrup. I'm not sure, but I think it fried? When the computer was turned of...? Now, when I turn on my computer with the fried card out of my compters PCI slot, it just says "No Input Device Detected" - "No Signal Found." - What do I do? I've never had this problem before. I usually just take out the fried card and hook everything back up to my onboard "blue cable hookup", and I can use my computer to disable the removed card etc... but, I can't even see a boost screen on my monitor. It's all just blank with a "no signal input" msg.

My keyboard lights up briefly with "num lock", "caps lock", "scroll lock", but nothing happens when I press F10 for safe mode or F8.

I've tried taking the power cord off of my monitor for 30 seconds to reset the electronics.

I've tried going through the input modes on my monitor and setting the monitor back to VGA instead of HDMI.

I've tried booting my PC up with a Windows 7 Ultimate OEM disc in the drive (nothing).

I've tried removing everything but Power, Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor cables on the pc.

I've tried using 3 different keyboards. (nothing!)

I've tried pressinf F8-F10 rapidly for 2 mins+ each...(nothing)

I don't know what to do because I've never had this heppen before.>.<!

Computer specs;

HP a6230n Desktop PC 5600+ Dual Core
Windows 7 Ultimate
GeForce 9800 GT
Antec 650-700 WATT PSU (don't remember....)
8 Gigs RAM
HannSPREE Monitor
HP Keyboard
Generic Crappy Mouse

My question is, I guess.. How do I start my computer up in safe mode to disable the old 8600 GT so I can use my onboard graphics card? I don't think my PC is detecting any keyboards...but it lights them up on startup for a split second?...

**EDIT** Wrong graphics card info. (not that it matters its fried nnow:-D)

Edited by sparklez, 16 August 2010 - 09:41 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Was the computer left in standby mode or connected to the power outlet overnight?
If the add on card has suffered such serious damage other components such as the
MB, CPU and Ram may have also been affected and the most common cause of such issues
is a failed psu so make sure you have a good inspection of each item.
If the other components do look ok try removing the CMOS battery on the MB for a few
moments, this will restore the MB factory settings such as onboard vga being enabled.
I hope things work out ok for you and please let us know.

sparklez

sparklez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Was the computer left in standby mode or connected to the power outlet overnight?
If the add on card has suffered such serious damage other components such as the
MB, CPU and Ram may have also been affected and the most common cause of such issues
is a failed psu so make sure you have a good inspection of each item.
If the other components do look ok try removing the CMOS battery on the MB for a few
moments, this will restore the MB factory settings such as onboard vga being enabled.
I hope things work out ok for you and please let us know.

No, it was completely shutdown. I leave it plugged into my surge protector all the time, so I'm not sure if current did fry everything... with my computer being plugged in to the surge protector.

On inspection of my motherboard nothing looks swelled or bent over..smells fine and I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary. No beeping or odd noises, PSU comes on fine, keyboard lights up and mouse comes on. I just keep getting the "No signal detected." msg. I've tried taking out the silver KTS watch battery like ...battery, the CMOS battery I guess it's called? It didn't help.:)

Would switching the little jumper switch thing on my motherboard do anything? The thing adjacent to the silver CMOS battery, it looks like the backside of a Hard Drive...with the slaver and master switch, that thing?

Idk what happened...is there any other way to uninstall my old graphics card if removing the CMOS battery for..about 20 mins doesn't do anything? (there should really be an easier way of fixing computers!!:@)

BTW! thanks for the response!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
This would suggest it happened as the computer was attempting to boot up.
Here is a link to the 2nd option for clearing the CMOS http://h10025.www1.h...t=3548196#N1505
Check the inside of your case to make sure something hasn`t become detached
and shorting the MB out.

sparklez

sparklez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Here is a link to the 2nd option for clearing the CMOS http://h10025.www1.h...t=3548196#N1505
and shorting the MB out.

Does the power cord for the brain have to be plugged in to the wall/surge protector when switching the CMONs' pin position? And should I leave devices like...Mouse,Keyboard,Monitor plugged in their respectiove places as well? The HP website link you gave me says [color="#FF0000" "CAUTION: Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result. "[/color] - So..no power cord on the brain then? I'm asking because it's confusing. Is it fine to switch the cmos when the computer is off with power going to the motherboard, does it need power to reset something while I change positions? Or does it have to have no power whatsoever going to the motherboard, like, no power going into it at all?

thanks for your replies phill!

Edited by sparklez, 16 August 2010 - 09:39 AM.

sparklez

sparklez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

and shorting the MB out.

Does the power cord for the brain have to be plugged in to the wall/surge protector when switching the CMONs' pin position? And should I leave devices like...Mouse,Keyboard,Monitor plugged in their respectiove places as well? The HP website link you gave me says [color="#FF0000" "CAUTION: Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result. "[/color] - So..no power cord on the brain then? I'm asking because it's confusing. Is it fine to switch the cmos when the computer is off with power going to the motherboard, does it need power to reset something while I change positions? Or does it have to have no power whatsoever going to the motherboard, like, no power going into it at all?

thanks for your replies phill!

I switched the poisitions like the image showed with the power cord off, but nothing happened. I switched the positions with the computer plugged in but off - now it just starts the two fans up then turns off...within 2-3 seconds of it turning on. when I turn it on without the cmon thing on it starts up fine but still dont have any screen. just says no video signal detected. so I have a new problem as well as the old problem.

New problem;
After switching the cmos jumpers from 2-3 to 1-2 then back, like the picture shows, nothing changed on startup. still had the no video signal detected. after switching positions from 1-2, 2-3, the computer starts up, then shuts down. with the cmos jumper completely removed, it starts up but has the same problem, and now I dont know what to do about the start up and shutdown problem. did I fry my computer too now?=-| ([bleep] computers...)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You must disconnect the power cord from the wall before clearing the CMOS.
Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 onto 2-3 for 10 seconds then return the
jumper cap back to pins 1-2, if you do it this way you cannot do any harm.
Removing the CMOS battery effectively does exactly the same thing.
Is your confusion caused by the clearing the BIOS password which is done
with the power cord connected and then powering up.
The idea of clearing the CMOS is to restore the MB factory settings which
would automatically enable the onboard video chip, as this has not happened
it suggests that more damage was done than just your add on video card.
Priority is to have your psu checked out correctly before doing any more
testing, can you loan a known working one.
Remove the MB for a closer inspection, check the capacitors (round drum shapes)
look for any swelling or blown tops, any scorching or other damage to the MB.
Once you have a known good psu do a barebone set-up on a piece of cardboard
start with MB, 1 stick of Ram, video and keyboard and see if you can get the
BIOS screen.
As a side note have you tried the monitor and lead on another computer?

sparklez

sparklez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You must disconnect the power cord from the wall before clearing the CMOS.
Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 onto 2-3 for 10 seconds then return the
jumper cap back to pins 1-2, if you do it this way you cannot do any harm.
Removing the CMOS battery effectively does exactly the same thing.
Is your confusion caused by the clearing the BIOS password which is done
with the power cord connected and then powering up.
The idea of clearing the CMOS is to restore the MB factory settings which
would automatically enable the onboard video chip, as this has not happened
it suggests that more damage was done than just your add on video card.
Priority is to have your psu checked out correctly before doing any more
testing, can you loan a known working one.
Remove the MB for a closer inspection, check the capacitors (round drum shapes)
look for any swelling or blown tops, any scorching or other damage to the MB.
Once you have a known good psu do a barebone set-up on a piece of cardboard
start with MB, 1 stick of Ram, video and keyboard and see if you can get the
BIOS screen.
As a side note have you tried the monitor and lead on another computer?

There was nothing wrong with my PSU before... my computer turned on fine and shut down fine, I just couldn't see anything. My graphics card fried and I took it out and needed to know how to reset it so that my PC would use the default onboard graphics card. Other Graphics cards have blown before (all GeForce...) and I've never had this problem. (Same monitor this entire time too). When I took out and placed the jumper switch from 1,2-2,3 and back the computer won't start now, and I already tried switching cables and using different monitors - same problem. When I take the jumper out completely it starts up but I still can't see anything. (it wasn't like this before I switched them). Maybe I need to have a professional look at it...Idk what happened.

Thanks for trying to help phill

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I always keep a spare standard pci graphics card for testing
MBs with issues such as this, you should get one of ebay for
a couple $ and they are a godsend for times such as this.
If you are getting a tech guy to look at your MB have him test
the psu also (any decent comp shop will test your psu free of charge).
I hope things work out for you.