Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Snapscan (Agfa 1212u scanner) error under Windows 98 SE - solved by up

• Please log in to reply

KGHN

KGHN

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I moved my Win98SE files to a new harddrive in a different (much faster) machine. I located and installed appropriate W98SE drivers, most from the motherboard manufacturer's website, until Device Manager looked good. Most of my software is working fine, but when I tried to use my Agfa 1212u scanner, Scanwise version 1.20 gave an error when I tried to put it into greyscale mode, or do a scan in default mode:
SCANWISE caused an exception 10H in module MSVCRT.DLL at 025f:7802b84d

I searched the 'net for this situation but did not find it. Researching on my machine, I found C:\windows\system\msvcrt.dll 278,581 7-15-00 12:00a

Fortunately, I had downloaded the installer for the newer version of ScanWise a while back and had it on a CD:
http://www.agfa.com/...212u/index.html
Drivers SnapScan 1212u (USB)
Windows (95 OSR2, 98, ME, 2000, XP)
ScanWise2.0.0.9-1212u.exe

I wanted to uninstall the old version first. No uninstall link was in the Start Menu program launch folder, or in the Control Panel Add/Remove utility. I did see
C:\Program files\Agfa\ScanWise 1_20\uninst.isu

For insurance, before the uninstall, I copied \Program files\Agfa\ScanWise 1_20 to ObsoleteScanWise 1_20 in \Program Files\Agfa. I created a windows-system folder in the Obsolete (\Program Files\Agfa\ObsoleteScanWise 1_20) copy folder and copied msvcrt.dll to it.

I searched the 'net for uninstall help and found:

- - - - -

Per
http://www.computing...-cd/154862.html
Here's how to uninstall them *IF* there is a *.isu file in the program folder. This will usually have the name of DeIsL1.isu, DeIsL2.isu, etc., (use the highest L number for the removal), or Uninst.isu. If this file is present, then enter the following in Start, Run:
c:\windows\uninst.exe -f"[Location of .isu file]"
Example:
C:\Windows\uninst.exe -f"D:\Utility\File Recover\DeIsL1.isu"
This will open the uninstall shield, and remove the program properly.
Some programs have an Uninstl.exe, or Unwise.exe file in the program folder that normally a shortcut in the Program menu originally pointed to. If this shortcut is missing, enter the line in Run as:
[Location of .exe] [location of install.log]
Example:
D:\Utility\DirSnoop\Uninstl.exe D:\Utility\Dirsnoop\Install.log
If the program folder has an uninstal.exe file, this is usually a custom uninstalling program that may be run with the following command in Run:
[Location of Uninstal.exe] [Location of program folder]
Example:
D:\Utility\Fixit\Uninstal.exe D:\Utility\Fixit

- - - - -

OK, back to what I did:

Start / Run
C:\Windows\uninst.exe -f"C:\Program Files\Agfa\ScanWise 1_20\uninst.isu"
launched the Windows uninstall. As it ran, it wanted to delete some files.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COLOR\sRGB Color Space Profile.icm "unused", I let it delete after copying the file to a windows-system-color folder in the Obsolete version folder.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COLOR\VirtualMonitor Agfa.icm, VirtualMonitor22 Agfa.icm, SnapScan 1212U Agfa rx.icm, SnapScan 1212U Agfa_2 rx.icm ditto

Restart.

Then I copied ScanWise2.0.0.9-1212u.exe to my desktop & ran it. It wanted to overwrite C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Msvcirt.dll. I copied the old version to the windows-system folder in the Obsolete version folder before I gave permission.

The scanner seems happy now.

Advertisements