Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XXXX SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME XXXX

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sweenitodd

sweenitodd

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:tazz: I hate the MSN homepage

hi there everyone, I am new to all this computer stuff so please be patient with me.

I have this problem I am unable to change my homepage from MSN, everytime I change it in
tools
internet options
address = http://uk.altavista.com/
and apply - ok
when I go back in it has gone back to = http://www.msn.co.uk/

It's driving me nuts I have tried evrything but still nothing works,
this is what I am running

norton antivirus - definitions up to date
adaware se - definitions up to date
zone alarm

I have scanned everything in both normal and in safe mode and hasn't found anything, I have adwatch running which comes with adaware se and everytime i go onto the internet it says "registry modification detected"

I don't want to keep changing it but I feel that MSN has hijacked my PC

I have read stuff on here and I feel that you experts may be able to help me out.

Many Thanks for your time

Ian AKA Sweenitodd

Edited by sweenitodd, 26 May 2005 - 11:04 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You might have been "hijacked", but try downloading Spybot Search and Destroy from this site and open it in the Advance mode. It will give you options for locking some features for IE.

Let me know if you need instructions with S & D.

Ron

sweenitodd

sweenitodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
many thanks major payne, I will try this when I return from work, if I need anymore help I will let you know

Many thanks for your time

Ian aka sweenitodd :tazz:

sweenitodd

sweenitodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi there mayor payne

I have spybot now but what do I do next.

I have run a scan and this comes up

c:\windows\win.ini kann nicht goeffnet werden tis process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
congratulations no immediate threats were found

Many Thanks

Ian aka sweenitodd

Edited by sweenitodd, 25 May 2005 - 04:18 PM.

sweenitodd

sweenitodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
can someone please help me as i dont know how to get rid of this annoying homepage

Ian aka shannianni :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. Thought I had answered this post yesterday around 3 am.

You can do this offline/online. Put the Home Page you want to use into IE using Tools>Internet Options>General tab.

To lock your Home Page in IE from Spybot, open the program in the Advanced mode. Click Tools and select "IE tweaks" from menu list. Check first two boxes listed. If you want to put your own name into Internet Explorer's title, type in what you want in this option and click "Apply" button.

If you want to lock your Home Page using Zone Alarm, open app and select "Firewall" tab. Click the "Advance" button and check "Lock host file".

I know I posted this yesterday. Bet I posted to wrong window. Some one is going to really be confused if I did post to another subject. :tazz:

Ron

sweenitodd

sweenitodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
major

I have now tried this and it keeps coming up as MSN

Its driving me F..kin nuts sorry for the rude bit, I have even rang microsoft experts and they say its not them or any of thier programs, what a bunch of ??????, ooooooooh if I could get my hands round
Bill "I wanna rule the world and know what everyone is doing" Gates.
Freedom of speech ok
freedom to hijacking your pc - he can pee off

Can anyone help me

Ian
:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Post a hijackthis log (see sig)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Post a hijackthis log (see sig)

View Post

If you followed the steps given for locking your home page and it still changes. You can run Spybot in the Tools section to see what BHOs you have. The ones with the green check mark or known legitimate BHOs. The others will have to be removed.

I know you said you ran all the apps to try to detect this problem, but I suggest doing it again in an orderly manner by following each and every step as listed here :

Read This Before Posting a Hijack This Log

Then do as gerryf said and post a Hijack This Log in the Malware Removal section of this forum.

Try to to be patience after posting log as this is a very busy part of the forum.

Ron

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Continued here:
http://www.geekstogo...=ST&f=5&t=29158

Regards,