Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Won't Start

• Please log in to reply

gu88z

gu88z

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently dropped my laptop, about 2 feet it was in it's carrying case but when I took it out it wouldn't start. I turned it on and all the lights turned on but nothing showed up on the screen. I tried removing the battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds. I also tried removing and replacing the RAM. Is ther any way to fix it and what is the problem?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Hi gu88z :) sorry to hear you are having this issue with your laptop.
It is possible that the screen inverter/backlight became damaged when it was dropped, to check this out switch on the laptop and shine a flashlight into the screen and if you look closely and can see icons or images in the background it would suggest this is what has happened, here a link showing "how to replace" should you need it;
http://www.instructa...desktop-screen/
If it does not appear to be the above here is a link to a checklist to go through (you have already done some)
http://www.techsuppo...leshooting.html
I hope that this info is helpful and that it helps you to resolve the issue, let us know how it works out for you
Good luck

gu88z

gu88z

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am going through the steps and hopefully that works but just thought I would give a bit more info the laptop is an HP Pavillion dv6000. When I press the power button the lights all come on(both power lights, as well as all the light on the mouse pad and the volume lights, mute lights etc.), the screen remains black. The computer makes sounds like it is starting up, I hear a whirring noise and the *chck chck* noise of it checking the empty CD DvD drive.(this noise doesn't happen when the drive is open.) It will then wait a few seconds all the lights will flash off then on (like turning off then on) then the above repeats as If I had just strted it again. I shined a light on the screen and it does not have any thing in the background.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

I shined a light on the screen and it does not have any thing in the background.

Did you do this in a dim/dark light and look close up to the screen as it is hard to see if you don`t.

gu88z

gu88z

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I did, and I just realized I don't have any screwdrivers small enough to open the back cover of the laptop so I will have to wait to get home from vacation to perform most of the steps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Apparently the issue you are having is a very common one (not helpful to you I know).
I found this HP link while researching your laptop and have attached it in case you
have not seen it http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01087277
I will await further posts and I hope that the next one will say the laptop is up and running.