Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Stays Black

• Please log in to reply

AsusLover

AsusLover

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Asus P4P800-VM
1 Gig DDR 266 RAM
60 GB HDD
ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600
Celeron 2.66 Ghz 256mb Cache

I really need some help here. on saturday night I came home looking forward to playing some Call Of Duty. But, my brother stops me and says in the middle of his music and Aim conversations, the computer froze. When he tried to turn it back on, the computer itself would turn on but the screen remains on standby. I went in and removed the vid card and usd the onboard. I still got the same result. I few times, it will start but it will freeze intermittently. Once it even froze up in the BIOS load. The few times that I did get to my desktop, I saw that my LAN and Sound Drivers had dissapeared. My lan option in my network connections was completly gone and my sound just didn't work. I tried reloading the drivers from the Asus disk, but that didn't work. If anyone knows what is going on I'd love to hear from you, Thanks.

Edited by AsusLover, 24 May 2005 - 12:04 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you tried reading this? :

Repair Windows XP, How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade

Admin has done a fantastic job on this.

Ron

AsusLover

AsusLover

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've done many of those. However, it is irrelevant if it is not turning on my monitor or not freeze while loading my BIOS. All of these tasks are before XP is even a thought. However, it may fix some of my driver problems and was planning to do those with the repair installation after i got this problem fixed.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Clear CMOS. Unplug comp from wall. Disconnect power supply from mobo. Locate jumper pins on mobo and follow manufacturer's instructions, or just pop the battery out for a few minutes. Reconnect all and reboot. If no joy, post back.

Johanna

AsusLover

AsusLover

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
sorry, wheres the CMOS?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Can you even get into your BIOS so you can have it load your default or safe values?

If you haven't got anything worth saving on your Hard Drive, I would just start over and dump what I have and clean the HD, reload Win XP. Depending on what programs you have disks for to re-install, I would just do it. Sometimes it's not worth the aggravation when you can reformat HD and get it ready for a "new beginning". Of course, this depends on whether your install CD is a full install. Otherwise, you'll need to install a previous version of Windows first.

If you can't get into the BIOS, you'll be able to reset it by removing the battery from the MB. After this, I would see if I couldn't re-install Windows right over itself.

What POST signals are you getting?

Ron

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

sorry, wheres the CMOS?

View Post

It should look like a big jumper (maybe yellow in color) that is covering 2 out of a set of 3 pins. Usually it sits on 1 and 2, but to clear it, you put it over 2 and 3. Then wait about a minute and return it back to 1 and 2.

This is just a generalization. You should really look it up in your mobo manual or the Asus website and know exactly what you need to do, because clearing the CMOS is a big deal that you don't want to just "experiement" with.