Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replaceing a hard drive

• Please log in to reply

iboard10

iboard10

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am looking to replace my current hard drive on my HP computer since it seems to be going bad. I have installed a couple of hard drives but I have always had the recovery disk to reload the OS and other stuff when I have done it in the past. But I would seem that HP no longer supplies their computers with the recovery disk. I can get one from their website but I really don't feel like paying $22 for something I feel should have been supplied with the computer in the first place.

So my question is do I have options to make my own recovery disk? I know apple has Time machine which seems to reload everything when it is run. Is there anything like that for PC? I have tried looking but all I can find is software that will back up music, vids, pic, and ect... I need something that will fully restore my computer onto a new hard drive.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
$22 is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new Operating System CD/DVD. And, you'll also get all of the necessary drivers for your particular setup.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You might be able to create a recovery disk, but if you don't want to reload everything, you can buy a disk from a manufacturer which has a utility to copy the data from the old disk to the new disk. Most companies have this, like Maxtor, for example. I believe Seagate also has the same type of utility, but I think that each company requires that the new disk be from them, rather than generic.

You just need to be able to connect both disks at the same time.

iboard10

iboard10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You might be able to create a recovery disk, but if you don't want to reload everything, you can buy a disk from a manufacturer which has a utility to copy the data from the old disk to the new disk. Most companies have this, like Maxtor, for example. I believe Seagate also has the same type of utility, but I think that each company requires that the new disk be from them, rather than generic.

You just need to be able to connect both disks at the same time.

Thanks for the info. But I just went ahead and got the recovery disk from HP. I wasn't really been able to find what I was looking for.

ninja88

ninja88

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for the info. But I just went ahead and got the recovery disk from HP. I wasn't really been able to find what I was looking for.

Kemasa's suggestion is a good one if you do not want to do a fresh install of you OS on your new HD. When you buy your new HD, it may come (or you can likely download online for free) a disk utility that actually lets you completely clone the contents of your old drive to the new one. I know maxtor and seagate both have their own utilities. This way you will not have to re-install programs and transfer data.

Something to keep in mind if you do choose to do a fresh install from the recovery disks you are getting from HP: Make sure you have the jumpers set correctly on your drives so that the BIOS is seeing your new drive as the first HD. Or if you don't want to fiddle with that, just physically remove your old drive while you are installing the OS. That way your new OS will not be relying on boot files located on your old HD and you won't have any problems booting up when you decide to toss it.

I made the mistake once of not switching jumper/bios settings before installing XP on a new HD and after removing the old HD i was left with a whole slew of problems with incorrect drive letters/boot files missing etc. Hope to save you some trouble!

Edited by ninja88, 17 August 2010 - 04:10 AM.