Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Can't Start Windows

• Please log in to reply

Inklessyacht

Inklessyacht

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Every time I start my laptop(EEE 1005HA), there would always be a screen where I would choose whether to start windows normally, in safe mode, with the last known good configuration settings,...etc.. Then after I chose one windows will start loading and then a blue screen appears very quickly and it reboots again from the start repeating the same thing. No matter what option I choose it still ends up with the same thing and I can't get into windows.
Then, I tried windows system recovery by pressing f9. When I clicked ok to start the recovery and the ghost32 application starts I get an error.. "application error 29004 Read sector failure - result =1, drive = 0, sector ..."
Then, I tried running a recovery from the usb still I get the same thing.
I read from the internet that I could try to use the switch -FNI for that error. So, I pressed shift + f10 to get there. I did get into the command prompt but instead of x:> I got 0:000> I tried to input ghost32.exe -FNI but it didn't work..
How can I save my laptop now??
Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You must be able to perform repair commands from recovery console which should show itself as c:> (assuming c is the partition on which windows is installed).

Can you run any command with the 0.000> format? If you can't then I suspect that the MBR is damaged and there are two options left: Format the disk from a USB device or an external CD drive and reinstall windows. If this fails: Replace the hard disk with a new one which has the operating system built into it. If you have an external CD drive you may be able to install an operating system (XP or Linux) which are not bundled with the hard disk.

Inklessyacht

Inklessyacht

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

You must be able to perform repair commands from recovery console which should show itself as c:> (assuming c is the partition on which windows is installed).

Can you run any command with the 0.000> format? If you can't then I suspect that the MBR is damaged and there are two options left: Format the disk from a USB device or an external CD drive and reinstall windows. If this fails: Replace the hard disk with a new one which has the operating system built into it. If you have an external CD drive you may be able to install an operating system (XP or Linux) which are not bundled with the hard disk.

What is the MBR?
I got the 0.000> from the command prompt from ghost32 which i run from a USB device.
So, i suppose i have to replace the hard disk.
Thanks.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
MBR is the Master Boot Record without which the computer is blind to the hard disk and it's content.I think that your netbook has the operating system and drivers bundled into the original hard disk. Your easiest, probably cheapest option is to buy a new hard disk from ASUS for your specific netbook model. There are other options such as installing a free Linux or install XP from a CD. For this you need a USB CD drive and a legal copy of XP. IN addition, for each of the last two options you will have to search, download and install drivers required to run your device.

junoychela

junoychela

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my computer wont start and keeps asking me to start or launch to fix