Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network storage + Printer

• Please log in to reply

Chris Bass

Chris Bass

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, first time on today actually!

I'm not the most computer smart person but i'm not a complete dunce either but i have a question which you'll hopefully be able to help with.

I have a wireless network at home that we run a number of laptops off (2x personal, 2x work + a mac) what is the best way for all of these top share a hard drive? and can a printer also be set up on this network? the only problem might be that the printer and hard drive would ideally not be in the same room as the wireless router (as that is in our front room and it is already a little crowded with various things, tv, stereo, wii, that kind of thing!)

Can this be done? and if so what is the best solution, and by best i mean good but not overly pricey!!

Thanks
Chris

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the printer is pretty simple. there are a plethora of wireless enabled printers on the market right now. all you have to do is connect it to your wireless connection (the same way you connect the laptops) and you can put it anywhere that has a power outlet and is close enough to allow the connection.

if you've already got a printer that you want to use, you can get a wireless print server (basically a wireless adapter with a USB port to hook the printer into)

for the hard drive you could get something like this (though not necessarily exactly that). it's a wireless enabled NAS enclosure. you can put up to 4 hard drives in it, connect it directly to your network and share your files from there. as long as it's powered on, everything should connect fine.

the other alternative is to just set up a workgroup in your house and share the files and the printer from one computer (that the printer would be directly attached to). however, if that computer is ever off, then you can't get to the printer or the files