Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Connection Reset / Can't find Server" Issues

• Please log in to reply

jandrix

jandrix

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a PC (XP) and two laptops (windows 7) in the house. For the last month or so, it seems that my laptop (not sure about the other one as my daughter rarely uses hers) resets constantly. I either sit there waiting for the web sit to come up and then it will set "connection reset" or it won't even go to a web page saying "firefox can't find server at...." whatever web site. I reset the router, checked the security pin, etc... etc... I have tried everything I can think of and it's not working correctly. This is driving me mad. This laptop is brand new.

Please help if you can. I start back to school in two weeks and am taking online classes. I can't have this keep happening. I am thinking it's a bad router, perhaps????

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jandrix, 16 August 2010 - 09:37 AM.

Advertisements

jandrix

jandrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello, anyone??? :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I am thinking it's a bad router, perhaps????

Do other computers have same problem?

jandrix

jandrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No, the PC does not. My daughter isn't noticing it on hers (same model laptop as mine), but she doesn't use it often. I noticed it on hers when I used it, however.

Also, I've set firefox settings to "no proxy" and I've also changed the firewall to allow firefox. I've reset and unplugged the router several times. No change.

Edited by jandrix, 19 August 2010 - 03:54 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

jandrix

jandrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I really don't see how I can have a virus or malware when I JUST put a brand new hard drive on my laptap..... like 5 days ago. The problem was occurring BEFORE the new hard drive and after. Same problem.........Same issues. I have run my virus scan and malwarebytes and nothing comes up. I really don't think it's a virus.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, you didn't tell me about new hard drive.
Are you sure, you installed all drivers?
Any errors in device manager?

I noticed it on hers when I used it, however.

Are both laptops connected wirelessly?
Did you try to hardwire your laptop to the router and see, if same thing happens?

jandrix

jandrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
A friend suggested that having my blackberry so close to my laptop could be the issue. I have put it far away from my laptop and now it seems to be running fine. Go figure. :) Sorry for the bother. Unbelievable. Guess it's something you can suggest to people in the future with the same issue??? Thanks for helping. You guys are always great here.

Well, you didn't tell me about new hard drive.
Are you sure, you installed all drivers?
Any errors in device manager?

I noticed it on hers when I used it, however.

Are both laptops connected wirelessly?
Did you try to hardwire your laptop to the router and see, if same thing happens?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
WOW! Quite a hint....LOL