Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Picking a new monitor

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok I have been researching for days now and there is a lack of straight forward information on this. I am looking tobuy a new screen - uses are gaming (primary) movies (secondary) and word (as the third main use). My first two are the most important. With regards to text I can always zoom in if I have a problem with that.Please note I will be sitting roughly 75cm's from the screen. It must be matte not glossy (the actual panel rather then the frame/bezel). Now:

1) 22inch @ 1920 x 1080 or 1680 x 1050 (which there seems to be a severe lack of on sites such as ebuyer and OCUK)or 24inch @ 1920 x 1080 . I have kind of answered this question myself - as I will be wanting to watch HD movies I want 1920 x 1080 (which I believe has a aspect ratio of 16:9 which is THE aspect ratio for HD - can someone please confirm this?). My main question is - will a 22inch @ HD res be too heavy on the eyes in terms of text size etc. And would this not cause AA issues? As in more jaggys?

2) Is 24 inch @ 1920 x 1080 the perfect match for HD? Would it look better on a 22inch?

3) I am finding it very difficult to identify screens as glossy or matte. Any ideas on how to do this?

4) Given the distance I will be sitting from the screen (and when watching movies I could be sitting further back about 1 - 1.6m away (only if I have company)is 24inches too big or too small?

5) The viewing angles must be good (not based on the numbers as stated by manufacturers as they are rarely reality) as I regularly have someone sitting next to me watching me play - as such they should have the same view that I have. This is not my primary concern however for example I have been looking at this screen: http://www.overclock...tid=510&subcat= - however it has been said in a review that the screen deteriorates after about 30 degrees; which is awful.

6)LED or not? Im not too fussed about this however I do not know if and how or at all if LED backlighting affects the screen in anyway. Searching online yields too much info. Will a LED screen be better or worse for a gaming/movie scenario?

7) It must be fully HDCP compliant and full HD support for 1080p and 1080i is a must.

8) Will going from my current 17inch 4:3 E435S to a widescreen 16:9 @ 1920 x 1080 affect the shapes of things in games. I mean to say will people and objcts appear thinner or fatter - I do not want any stretching etc.

9) Zero Dead Pixel policy would be ideal.

Price wise anything under £230.

After my research I have come to the conclusion that a 24inch is ideal - however I would like other peoples opinion on this particulary if it is based on experience.

My GPU is a EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB ACS3 KO Edition which I know is old however I do not plan on palying the latest games with this card. The newset game I plan to play on it is Tomb Raider Anniversary and GRAW 2. I know that it cannot handle anyhting after its manufaturing year well add about 2 months onto that date.

I looked at this: http://www.overclock...tid=510&subcat= however I do not really like the styling I much prefer an entirely matte finish - screen and bezel. However if this is not possible it wouldnt be the end of the world if I have to get a screen with a glossy effect bezel (but not the screen!!). Now I also looked at that other 24 inch by Iiyama I pointed out earlier, funny thing is on ebuyer people rate that one highly: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161554 - wonder if it is ok or not?

Why is that samsung monitor said to not have capabilities of displaying 1080p? : http://www.digitalve...57_7269_36.html
Many Thanks :)

Edited by Mitesh, 16 August 2010 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements