Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My HDD is full, but i cant find my files.

• Please log in to reply

cupra_matt

cupra_matt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all.

I have a old Compaq Presario V5002 running XP Home edition. Last year it crashed and wouldn't startup.

I had lost my recovery discs so i bought new ones, and went through the process of reinstalling.

My laptop has worked great since, but there is a slight problem, before crashing it had about 35GB of mp3's on my 40GB HDD, so naturally i thought i would loose these when reinstalling, not a problem as i have the original discs. But after the laptop was uo and running again and i go to C: drive and check properties i still only have 3GB of free space, yet i cannot find my files anywhere, i have used the search functions for hours on end and yet no joy.

After reinstalling windows the laptop looked to be back too how it was when new.

Am i stupid? why is my HDD full and yet i have no files? have i just installed another Windows XP over the top of my original? what can i do? i have since lost the Windows discs aswell, DOH.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Probably linked to an old user account.

Download Windirstat from my signature, run it and post a screenshot of it after it runs its queries.

cupra_matt

cupra_matt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Probably linked to an old user account.

Download Windirstat from my signature, run it and post a screenshot of it after it runs its queries.

Thanks for the reply, i have done just that, from what i can make out, there is hardly any music there at all.

Posted Image

xiaobao

xiaobao

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop has worked great since, but there is a slight problem, before crashing it had about 35GB of mp3's on my 40GB HDD, so naturally i thought i would ed hardy t-shirtloose these when reinstalling, not a problem as i have the original discs. But after the laptop was uo and running again and i go to C: drive and check properties i still only have 3GB of free space, yet i cannot find my files anywhere, i have used the search functions for hours on end and yet no joy. ed hardy kleidung

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I dont see the image...

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

I dont see the image...

I see it fine.

http://img.photobuck.../Screenshot.jpg

Thats what its linked to.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

I dont see the image...

I see it fine.

Hmm, can you relink to the forum for me? Cant seem to see it on this machine for some reason...

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

I dont see the image...

I see it fine.

Hmm, can you relink to the forum for me? Cant seem to see it on this machine for some reason...

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot1.jpg

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Many thanks.

According to that graph, your 35GB of mp3's are gone, sorry to say. Are you sure you didnt store them on another drive?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
According to Kii he was not concerned about the mp3 files.

before crashing it had about 35GB of mp3's on my 40GB HDD, so naturally i thought i would loose these when reinstalling, not a problem as i have the original discs

I believe the ops concern is that the OS was reinstalled and he only has about 3gb free.
Windirstat looks ok.

Lets take a look at the drives and partitions.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in compmgmt.msc
Click on OK
On the left side under storage...click on disk management.
Make sure the right side showing the drives is expanded so we can see it all.
Take a screen shot showing the drives and partitions.

Attach it to your reply.