Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - Win XP

• Please log in to reply

John Connor

John Connor

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello everybody,

I was brought a PC to repair some days ago but I can not figure out what is going wrong. I followed the guide posted here:
http://www.geekstogo...-cleaning-guide

and I was able to detect and remove a huge amount of viruses and malware. However, there's something still failing. Some minutes after having logged in I get a "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" error. Its details are the following:

szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 001a3b3e

If I do not close the error window I can still use the PC normally, although I can not turn off the computer.

Also, before the error appears, Avast! free antivirus prevents some undesired web pages from opening (it just says it has aborted or blocked a connection).

I would appreciate any piece of advice you could give me!

Kind regards,

John

svchost.exe

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

John Connor

John Connor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

I already followed those, but sorry for posting in the wrong board!

Thanks for such a fast answer

ron26

ron26

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I'm having the same problem.

I've gone to the suggest malware forum, rorschach.

I've done the first two steps, but now I'm up to the Malware download. I can get it downloaded by that is it, can't get it to run. I saw the note about renaming it but I'm not sure how to do this. Can someone clarify or add more details?

I'm running Windows XP Professional.

I have two problems: Generic Host Process for Win32 messages & I have a trojan horse downloader.generic10.vqh problem that my AVG is detecting but not getting rid of.

I've been at this for two days and close to going insane.

Any help is appreciated. Stuck on the malware download/renaming. I guess my virus/issue is detecting it and won't let it open/run.