Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

options for keeping IE safe from malware

• Please log in to reply

sha_Kai

sha_Kai

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to lock up Internet Explorer to prevent it from coming under attack.

Thanks,

Shannon

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You might try some of the "Tweaking" utilities. Spybot S & D, available for a free download on this forum, has a way to lock some parts of IE when using the Advanced mode. FreshUI has a free utility for tweaking a lot of stuff and covers some tweaks for IE.

I would recommend running a firewall if you haven't got one. I like ZoneAlarm. It keeps all ports of PC stealthed and it can help you with program control. I use the free version, but you can try the Pro for 19 days before it converts itself to the basic free version.

With the security problems IE has, it is going to be difficult finding any one program to fully protect IE. Why not switch to another browser like Firefox, Mozilla, even Netscape.

I would suggest reading the information available in the Malware section to get familiar with the problems that can occur. Just click the "Start Here" link at the top of this page to get you started.

Others may have more suggestions for you.

Ron

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Please do have a look at my site about removing and preventing spyware.

That should at least give you a few pointers. :tazz:

Regards,

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
The best way,is to avoid using it at all costs. :tazz:

sha_Kai

sha_Kai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
When I started having the spy/malware/trojan problems, I went ape---- and kind of tore the enternals out of IE's system folders ;)

Currently I am using Firefox, and am very satisfied with it, however, since it does not offer support for adobe/acrobat reader, I still need IE. Not that I'll ever use it for anything other than browsing PDF files mind you :tazz:

My concern is a "rumor" I came across which implied that spy/malware or viruses could infect IE even if it is not running. Is there any truth to that?

Also, since I got rid of the infestation, I've installed Sygate (seemed to me that most of the community is evenly split between Sygate and Zonealarm, so I just chose one at random). Also installed Spybot, AVG, CWShredder, and Cleanup.

Another question (although I'm sure it's not the correct forum to post this in, but): Exactly how efective are firewalls, and are they idiot-proof (yes, by idiot, I mean me).

S

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Currently I am using Firefox, and am very satisfied with it, however, since it does not offer support for adobe/acrobat reader, I still need IE.  Not that I'll ever use it for anything other than browsing PDF files mind you  :tazz:

Another question (although I'm sure it's not the correct forum to post this in, but):  Exactly how efective are firewalls, and are they idiot-proof (yes, by idiot,  I mean me).

S

View Post

What problems are you having using Adobe/Acrobat Reader in Firefox? I use FF and never have a problem opening PDF files in the browser window.

As to an idiot-proff firewall. ZoneAlarm (free version) is about as simple as you can get and be highly effective. Used this one for ages and love it.

Ron

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

Currently I am using Firefox, and am very satisfied with it, however, since it does not offer support for adobe/acrobat reader, I still need IE.  Not that I'll ever use it for anything other than browsing PDF files mind you  :tazz:  My concern is a "rumor" I came across which implied that spy/malware or viruses could infect IE even if it is not running.  Is there any truth to that?

I have no Adobe problems with Firefox. ;) Oh, and I just, on two of my compuetrs, removed IE altogether, and redid my computer to use the Mozilla rendering engine when needed. ;)

Edited by jake6535, 25 May 2005 - 11:05 AM.

sha_Kai

sha_Kai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

What problems are you having using Adobe/Acrobat Reader in Firefox?  I use FF and never have a problem opening PDF files in the browser window.

As to an idiot-proff firewall.  ZoneAlarm (free version) is about as simple as you can get and be highly effective.  Used this one for ages and love it.

Ron

View Post

Basically, when I tried to run the reader I would get an error message, "Acroreader has caused an error in adobe.exe. Acroreader will now close... etc" or something similar.

This was while I had IE broken, and several different flavors of spyware and virus infections, so I'll try reinstalling the reader now and see what happens.

As for Sygate, I just now finished reading a post to the Sygate Forums about smc. Apparently, this process can hang on Windows ME and cause system instability. Well, I have had it hang (I noticed it while I was playing around with my cd burner and froze my system. Ctrl-Alt-Delete showed that both Explorer and smc were not responding, and had to do a reboot since I couldn't close the burning software), no idea if the system freeze was caused by smc or what, but rather than risk it, I'll go with ZoneAlarm.

Thanks for the info! :tazz:

sha_Kai

sha_Kai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:tazz:

The sweet smell of success! Thanks, guys, for letting me know about the Adobe Reader non-issues; just reinstalled it and it's working fine.

Shannon

PS: You guys deserve a medal. Is there some way to promote this site and your exelent help?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

PS: You guys deserve a medal.  Is there some way to promote this site and your exelent help?

View Post

See Link to Us
if interested.

Ron

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
jake6535:

Posted Image :tazz:

;)

w1f1

w1f1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a great program to secure IE..... http://getfirefox.com

run that and you wont have probs with IE ever again, although you might have to give up your pop up, exessivetoolbarsthatautomaticllyinstall habit