Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Freezing Problem

• Please log in to reply

AliL

AliL

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Dear Geeks to Go,

I'm having a very strange freezing problem with my computer that I cannot trace the source of.

Here's the deal. On many occasions, my computer just locks up. For no reason. I can reproduce the error in three separate ways, but none of which (that I can see anyway) are connected. The freezing is also not total, as in I can move the mouse about, but not click on anything, and if there's music playing in the background it will loop (I have heard ranges of only a few tenths of a second to ~2 seconds), but if I click too many times (or too rapidly, I haven't determined this yet) the cursor locks up as well. But as far as I can tell, if I do not click, the cursor still moves around the screen. I have left the computer for ~45 mins after the initial lock-up to find the cursor still able to move as long as I do not click too much.

As for the reproducibility, these are the three ways:
  • Downloading anything with utorrent (however just having the program idling in the background doesn't cause any lock-ups)
  • Connecting my BlackBerry to the computer using the USB cable (it's not been connected before and tries to install drivers and then freezes)
  • Bulk transferring music onto my USB memory stick using foobar2000

About the computer: ~4 months old, I built it myself to a high spec. i5 750 processor. 4GB DDR3 RAM. GTX275 GPU. It runs Win7 x64 Home Premium. Running Avast! antivirus which has not detected any malware problems, and neither has Norton online scan.

Many thanks for any help guys :)

Edited by AliL, 16 August 2010 - 06:07 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

AliL

AliL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have posted a topic in the Malware and Spyware Removal area, as this topic. I shall await the results of that topic before I proceed any further here.

Many thanks :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Cool Posted Image