Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to hook up a projector to a laptop

• Please log in to reply

brandonhinsz

brandonhinsz

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Heres a tough one for yall - I have scoured the net, my users manual and everything else and cant seem to find anyone with the same issues I have.

Recently bought a Toshiba TDP-t45 projector to use instead of a monitor for my computer. We reset it back to factory settings since it was used. The computer screen comes up, but all is in black and white. The projector supports color, and the connections are good. Light bulb is brand new. Ive tried this with 3 different computers with the same result. I am wondering if there is a setting I have missed that switches the projector over to color, or if it could have something to do with the video cards in the computers, though I have used a very up to date card ( 8800 gt ). Any Ideas here ? Im going to go scour that users manual again. Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

...but all is in black and white.

Maybe you discovered why the previous owner got rid of it. It is not likely all 3 computers are bad. Page 41 of the manual shows the resolutions it supports and that seems pretty extensive. It does say the native resolution is 1024 × 768 pixels so I would ensure you are set to that. Have you tried a different cable? If using a standard VGA cable (referred to as RGB Cable in the manual), try using S-Video, if one of your computers supports it.

brandonhinsz

brandonhinsz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you for the reply. I will check on the the resolution settings. The projector showed up in color when we bought it, but the first time we used it we reset all to default and thats when it went to black and white. I will try the svideo cable as suggested and see if that works. Also have a DVI I can try. I did find something though. On a different site there was something about capacitors being bad on a machine. Could this be the case with this one?

Thanks for your time.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Also have a DVI I can try.

Not according to this manual.

There are probably dozens of capacitors in the projector. Sure, it is possible one or more have gone bad, but it would seem unlikely the reset did it.

Why did you reset it?

brandonhinsz

brandonhinsz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
you are right - only vga on the projector. What I did was used a DVI cable off of this computer and hooked in the adaptor for dvi to vga. Just to rule out the cable since we used the same one from all computers. same issue though.

My brother thought it would be a good idea to start from scratch since we dident know how the previous owner had set it up, so he reset it. Also forgot to mention that he had it running in black and white, and instead of letting the machine power down / cool off, he unpluged it from the wall, which of coarse burned out the light. We ordered and installed a new one according to manufacturer specs, and had the same issue with the black and white.

Also an update. My brother took it in to a shop today to see what they thought. I will update again as soon as it is out and resolved.

Thank you very much for your time.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Also an update. My brother took it in to a shop today to see what they thought. I will update again as soon as it is out and resolved

Sounds good. Keep us posted.