Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop startup issue

• Please log in to reply

dark_violinist

dark_violinist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
A laptop I just aquired is now giving me this screen on startup. I can get into the BIOS but that's about it. Tried pulling the battery and powersource to reset things but that's not working. I also checked the PCI card and it's in tight.

Posted Image

Edited by dark_violinist, 16 August 2010 - 07:41 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Have you tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults?

dark_violinist

dark_violinist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults?

Now I can't get into the bios, it won't allow me to get that far. I get the post screen, hit F2, and then it goes to this screen after the bar reaches the end accompanied by two beeps.

->Edit<-
I got into the BIOS by clicking Escape and pause. Then hit F2 and after it pulls up the error screen, hit F2 again. I reset it to factory settings but I still get nothing.

Edited by dark_violinist, 17 August 2010 - 01:13 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Sounds like a bad motherboard. :)

dark_violinist

dark_violinist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I let the laptop run untill the battery died. Then I plugged it in and it started fine. But I know thsi issue isn't fixed.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
If those three errors still appear on the screen, then no, it's not fixed. :)

dark_violinist

dark_violinist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If those three errors still appear on the screen, then no, it's not fixed. :)

This has happened a few times before. I was pulling the battery and it would start fine but this time that wasn't working.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
You might want to visually inspect the motherboard for bulged/leaking capacitors or other anomalies.

dark_violinist

dark_violinist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You might want to visually inspect the motherboard for bulged/leaking capacitors or other anomalies.

Which involves me having to completely dismantal it.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Yes, that's true. But, if there are one or more flaky/dead hardware components, it/they will need to be replaced.

(Each and every component on the motherboard is there for a specific reason ... and they all depend on each other to be working correctly. If one or more of the components is not working correctly, the whole unit will fail to work as it should).