Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OPtical USB mouse freezes (constantly)

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sys hung and not the mouse correct? Try the following and lets see if it helps.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Advertisements

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes the system hung - not just the mouse. I rant he defrag last night and checked i this afternoon about 14 hours later - I will run the chk dsk now... Again - thanks JJD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and let me know how it is working once the chkdsk /r has finished.
If that doesn't work then we will try a SFC

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I am back - The PC appears to run much better - no hang-up on the mouse etc. A new problem developed.

The PC remains on at night. When I go to the PC in the AM I have a black screen and no functionality. I move cursor and tap the key board - wait 1-2 minutes and nothing. A warm boot works and the PC works fine throughout the day - with no hangs etc.

any thoughts?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like energy saver options are enabled.
Disable them and use a screen saver.
Most likely under power management options in control panel.

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK Trusted Tech - It appears your mission is completed! My OS has run for several days without failure - it is much faster - non hangs and a much quicker start-up /shut down etc. I sincerely appreciate your support and assistance! JJD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear...Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry - but since my last post, the system has gone back to a crawl - takes minutes for programs to open - commands appear to hang. Also, after leaving the system for 2+ hours etc. I loose mouse and keyboard access - screen appears active, but no controls

The mouse has also reverted back,to previous behavior. although I think I may explain it better... The mouse icon does not appear to be able to catch-up with the physical mouse movement e.g. as you move the mouse around the screen, the arrow stays in a static position and then catches up.

Are you willing/able to get back into this again?

JD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun the steps in post 16 please and let us know the results.

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Results:

I successfully ran chkdsk /r No apparent improvement. Mouse/keyboard still freeze. system remains slowwww. took me 17 minutes to get to this point from a cold boot today...

Edited by djames27, 12 September 2010 - 05:26 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If this doesn't do the job we will have to look at a Repair Installation

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Minor issue...

my current windows version key does not contain setup or source path

I looked in the NT section and located source path change the drive letter to c:

I did as instructed and restarted to run the sfc the program kept looking for the installation CD - which to me indicates the NT change I did above is not being read kept asking me to continue - I kept receiving numerous warnings - eventually stopped....

P.S. obviously I do not have the installation CD....

Thoughts?

Edited by djames27, 12 September 2010 - 04:57 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Borrow a XP disk but you have to make sure it is the same version as what you have...Home, Media or Pro

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK - I m on a mission.... Thanks, I will advise as soon as completed.