Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I clean up the computer?

• Please log in to reply

levy1

levy1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for this forum. I had the blinking light, black screen and went on this site to get advise and it worked. After I unplugged all cables it booted right up. I suspect the old buffalo external hard drive which had not been connected for a year or so.
Now its a little slow and I tried to hard boot it about 15 times before I found the forum. What should I do to go through the system?

I have the following:
Avast Antivirus
AVG free 8.5
PC Pitstop
Registry fix
AVS4you

Thanks
Fred

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You cant have two anti-virus programs installed, you need to remove AVG or Avast. That should speed it up a bit.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would also recommend getting rid of that Registry Fix program what ever it is.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

levy1

levy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thank you, which one do you recommend to remove?

levy1

levy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I would also recommend getting rid of that Registry Fix program what ever it is.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Thank you, I will remove. I just downloaded the Malware and Spyware cleaning guide. should I do this even if I dont see a problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's a personal preference as many here use AVG as well as many use Avast or Avira. I look at the amount of system resources a program uses and the potential for slow down with the system.
I use Avast myself and have for over a year now with no problems.
Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:
[list]
It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year
[

ohsnap

ohsnap

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
^ rshaffer61,

Have you taken a look at MSE? I used to have Avast, and having only 512MB RAM, I'm not sure if MSE is lagging my computer.

It's essentially a fight between avast and MSE.